MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MySQL/PHP + AJAX security in myBB general Qs.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I have a PHP page I'm calling from AJAX that returns various information about my myBB system, and also writes a record to a table. I have a few questions about security:

1. Without getting into the specifics of what I am doing and why, is passing every variable (I am using to access the myBB database) through the myBB function:

$db->escape_string

enough to ensure my PHP calls are invulnerable to SQL injection attack?

2. I also have a system I found that will give me a measure of protection from script hijacking, that looks decent: http://www.informit.com/articles/article...4&seqNum=2

that involves writing a secure cooking containing a random passowrd (using PHP) from the same MyBB template that loads my javascript, and checking my jQuery AJAX requests against that.

does that sound right?

3. I am not doing any kind of mashup or any cross site scripting other than to include jquery from https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jq...ery.min.js ... so I should be fine there?

4. most of the information I used came from a paper about javascript hijacking I found: at http://ajax.sys-con.com/node/747965?page=0,0

There they summarize:

Quote:we recommend that all programs that communicate using JavaScript take the following defensive measures:

a. Include a hard-to-guess identifier, such as the session identifier, as part of each request that will return JavaScript. This defeats cross-site request forgery attacks by allowing the server to validate the origin of the request.
b. Include characters in the response that prevent it from being successfully handed off to a JavaScript interpreter without modification. This prevents an attacker from using a <script> tag to witness the execution of the JavaScript.

I think I have a.) covered in my Q 2, above. But what about this second issue, b.) - what do they mean by that?

at the beginning of the description of that issue, highlighted in the paper, the authors state:

Quote:To make it impossible for a malicious site to execute a response that includes JavaScript, the legitimate client application can take advantage of the fact that it is allowed to modify the data it receives before executing it, while a malicious application can only execute it using a <script> tag.

I don't quite follow that last clause - what does it mean that a
Quote:malicious application can only execute it using a <script> tag.
?

Because my PHP functions do not return any javascript to AJAX - my php responses do include javascript - do I have to be concerned with this type of attack, or am I misunderstanding what they are getting at?

5. What other vulnerabilities might I be susceptible to by using AJAX specifically with respect to myBB?

---------------
Thanks for any help here - I hope I have made these questions clear enough.
If your plugin does not make use of file uploads or directory browsing you should just worry about the following things:
* Whenever someone inputs something, make sure you escape it if you're inserting the data into a database (do so by using the $db->escape_string(...) function)
* If you're going to output the data, make sure you sanitize the data using htmlspecialchars_uni(...)
* Never give out important information, only the necessary information.
* Pay attention to the way you use cookies (if you're making use of them), always escape cookies and you can go even deeper and check if they're valid and if they're not, make it to send an email to yourself.
* Use some kind of CSRF protection - MyBB has this so make use of it - which can be done by placing a hidden field, whenever you use a form, named "postcode" for example and then set the value to {$mybb->post_code} or in case you're using a link use the same but in a link like &postcode={$mybb->post_code} and then in the actual PHP code check if the $mybb->input['postcode'] is valid using MyBB's post code validation function (check the functons.php file, it's there, can't be bother to check its name)

There isn't much else to do unless you're messing with the files, then things get more complicated if you don't know what you're doing.
Thank you! I was wondering if I posted this to the wrong forum.

Quote:If you're going to output the data, make sure you sanitize the data using htmlspecialchars_uni(...)

what do you mean by output - output from what to where? What I am putting into the myBB database is escaped. What I read from the myBB database does not contain html or special characters. Could you explain further?

I think I have the rest of your points covered in my plans...
(2010-12-30, 07:53 PM)Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you! I was wondering if I posted this to the wrong forum.

Quote:If you're going to output the data, make sure you sanitize the data using htmlspecialchars_uni(...)

what do you mean by output - output from what to where? What I am putting into the myBB database is escaped. What I read from the myBB database does not contain html or special characters. Could you explain further?

How do you know the data in your database has no HTML? If you're escaping with $db->escape_string I can easily enter <script>alert(\'test\');</script> and get it inserted without any problems. And it will then output a popup box showing test. You're then vulnerable to an XSS attack.
(2010-12-30, 08:04 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-30, 07:53 PM)Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you! I was wondering if I posted this to the wrong forum.

How do you know the data in your database has no HTML? If you're escaping with $db->escape_string I can easily enter <script>alert(\'test\');</script> and get it inserted without any problems. And it will then output a popup box showing test. You're then vulnerable to an XSS attack.

OK, If I take precautions to make sure what goes in is sanitized, I also should sanitize what I read from the db? I have no problem doing that, I just be sure what you meant.
(2010-12-30, 08:32 PM)Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-12-30, 08:04 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]

OK, If I take precautions to make sure what goes in is sanitized, I also should sanitize what I read from the db? I have no problem doing that, I just be sure what you meant.

Yes, sanitize what comes from the database (or whatever the user inputs which is then output).