MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Java help pls
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Okay, so I accidentally blocked any "unsafe features" of a java aplet, and now it won't work. I use firefox on ubuntu. Does anyone know how I can fix this please?
Reinstall Java.
Stop using Java?

Nothing good has ever come of Java. Use a real language, like ASM.
Okay, thanks.
(2010-12-31, 06:26 PM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]Stop using Java?

Yes, it's better to take 1 month to write a program which would require 2 days to write in Java or C++.
[/sarcasm]

Using ASM to write an entire application is plain stupid, unless you have nothing else to do in your life.
(2010-12-31, 06:26 PM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]Stop using Java?

Lolno. Minecraft is epic.
But ASM is teh roxor!

Actually I prefer C++. It gives the high level stuff of Java with the low level stuff of C, and weeds out 90% of the crappy programmers.

There are people who write entire operating systems in ASM...
(2011-01-01, 12:05 AM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]But ASM is teh roxor!

Actually I prefer C++. It gives the high level stuff of Java with the low level stuff of C, and weeds out 90% of the crappy programmers.

And that's one of the reasons why they'll never become a known Operating System. The time that usually takes to write a function C++ will usually take twice the time if you write it in ASM.

There's no intelligent reason to write an entire OS in ASM apart from being fun to try it out. Other than that, it's a waste of time since you can use ASM within your C++ code if you need it.

And I also prefer C++ over Java of course.
(2011-01-01, 05:34 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]

And that's one of the reasons why they'll never become a known Operating System. The time that usually takes to write a function C++ will usually take twice the time if you write it in ASM.
+1

The only thing I use ASM for is for PICmicro due to the low instruction set and the ability to direcltly interface with the hardware (it is only a 20MHz processor). Eveything else I use I do is in either C, C++ or C#. Smile
(2011-01-01, 05:34 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]

I never said they were well know OSs. Actually I think one person on osdev.net has a commercial OS written for ASM. It's designed for specialized applications (i.e. PoS terminals, etc.) so it needs to be small and fast.

Also, there are some things you just can't do in C++, i.e. interface with 75% of hardware on a PC. That usually requires the in/out instructions that are written in ASM and wrapped with C/C++ functions. Also SSE, going to/from Real Mode/Protected Mode/Long Mode, setting control registers, and I'm sure there's more. Also it's easier to write a boot sector in ASM than C/C++ as all of the size overhead just doesn't fit in the 512 bytes available, on top of that there are only like 3 compilers that produce the Real Mode code required. Most of the cased only apply to OS programmers though and they're usually wrapped up nicely for HLL use later.

I do enjoy writing in x86 ASM every now and then, mainly bootsectors. It's fun seeing just how much you can pack into 512 bytes minus the boot signature and other standard info depending on the kind of boot sector.
Pages: 1 2