MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: COPPA Compliance and Registration issue...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I am looking at COPPA and I'm wondering what exactly is the right way for this to work. What is the scenario for each possibility. For example:

Enabled: If the expectation is that Enabled only allows registration when the parents send in the form, what should the forum software do next?

1. Should it let the child continue registering? Or should it refuse registration and let the admin wait to receive a fax or letter. At which point the Admin enters the information by hand.

2. Or should it accept registration and put the child into a special holding category? And am I allowed to take enough information to allow the child to register without getting the form first.

Deny: When set to Deny, shouldn't it simply tell the child that he/she cannot register. Because when I set it to deny, it still asks for a fax or letter to be sent in. And provides a link to the form. If I'm denying someone that age, why would I solicit a form from them?
(2011-02-07, 02:58 AM)Andrew B. Wrote: [ -> ]I am looking at COPPA and I'm wondering what exactly is the right way for this to work. What is the scenario for each possibility. For example:

Enabled: If the expectation is that Enabled only allows registration when the parents send in the form, what should the forum software do next?

1. Should it let the child continue registering? Or should it refuse registration and let the admin wait to receive a fax or letter. At which point the Admin enters the information by hand.

2. Or should it accept registration and put the child into a special holding category? And am I allowed to take enough information to allow the child to register without getting the form first.

Deny: When set to Deny, shouldn't it simply tell the child that he/she cannot register. Because when I set it to deny, it still asks for a fax or letter to be sent in. And provides a link to the form. If I'm denying someone that age, why would I solicit a form from them?

Seems like the settings are backwards on it.

The way it SHOULD be, in my opinion, is like this:

Enabled: Children CAN register, but their parents have to send in the form for legal purposes. Until the form is in the Admin's hands, the child's account is not activated and can only be activated by the Admin. I also think that snail-mail and fax shouldn't be the only methods of sending the form in. With the almost complete access people have to scanners and e-mail, it should also allow for a scanned copy to be sent in, so long as it's clear and legible.

Deny: Doesn't matter at all. If you're under 13, you can't get access period.

Disable This Feature: Basically only used by those websites not affected by COPPA.
I don't know the law, but it makes sense to me. It seems the the COPPA feature is not working right.
... and that is why I put it in as a bug on the devsite.
Pages: 1 2 3