MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Which OS should I go for?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I've been debating this for awhile Toungue. I want a cheap little vps to just set up and manage without a control panel! But, I'm not sure which OS I should use for it. I will probably host some useless site there for the most part so it won't be important but I want the knowledge to be useful (sure it will be no matter which I choose though).

Arch - It's lite weight which makes it fast has rolling releases making it keep up to date (but also keeps it on the bleeding edge (not the best for servers)).

Cent OS - Tried and true server distro but kind of heavy.

Debian - Very stable distro with long release cycles (opposite of Arch basically).

FreeBSD - Thought about as I've never used BSD but the host I plan on using doesn't offer it as one the base and I haven't hassled to ask them if I could get it. (I'm sure I could but not positive)
Out of those choices I would got with CentOS...

I'm just partial to my Mandriva Enterprise Server 5 Toungue
CentOS, unless Fedora is a choice. I only use CentOS because it's the only one that works with cPanel.

Fedora on my private server though.
I love CentOS ^_^.
Fedora does have more up-to-date packages though. So it depends what you want; stability or up-to-dateness. Toungue
CentOS, because its stable Smile
CentOS is a bit bloated IMO, and it's only used because of it's popularity. It's the Windows of Linux.
Gentoo.
(2011-01-02, 10:17 PM)Zack Magee Wrote: [ -> ]CentOS is a bit bloated IMO, and it's only used because of it's popularity. It's the Windows of Linux.

I actually find major issues with that remark.
  1. I like having a lot of packages available with my distro.
  2. Windows forces you to install things unless you do a lot of tweaking, no Linux does that, they let you choose what to install.
  3. CentOS is only bloatware if you install things you don't need. This is true of all Linux distros.
Wow, I was expecting CentOS to be picked but not by everyone Toungue.
I'm surprised Mark.M didn't say FreeBSD actually Toungue
That would have been my 2nd choice, followed by Debian, with little Archie boy coming in last since its just too lightweight imo.
Pages: 1 2 3