MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Upgrade 1.2.14 -> 1.6.1 Timeout problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I am trying to upgrade a mybb installation from 1.2.14 to 1.6.1.
Problem is that we have > 300.000 posts and > 170.000 PMs in the database.
So, the upgrade script gets stuck with the words
Quote:posts: Converting column type
Depending on the browser I use, either nothing happens or i get an error after two minutes sayaing "Connection failed".
I can see that nevertheless the mysql statement
ALTER TABLE mybb_posts MODIFY includesig int( 1 ) NOT NULL default '0',
MODIFY smilieoff int( 1 )...
is executed after this, but then silence.

I spent two days with our hosting provider figuring out what server setting could possibly cause this, but to no avail.
We turned on all kind of logging, we increased timeout periods for php and apache to 10 minutes - no luck, no hint.

Most probably this is not a problem with the upgrade script, I know.
However, as it is the script does not function for us.
Is there any other way to upgrade?
I am sure I would have more luck on the command line as I wouldn't have to bother with Apache and / or browser settings.

Any hints?
Thanks in advance!
Did you select MySQL as your "forum's database" type ?
(2011-01-03, 04:50 PM)Yaldaram Wrote: [ -> ]Did you select MySQL as your "forum's database" type ?

thanks for the quick answer!
In config.php there's this
$config['dbtype'] = 'mysql';
which is what you mean I hope.
And mysql statements are executed, I can see that in the mysqladmin process list. They just take too long so either the server or the browser times out.
ALTEr TABLE on the posts table with 320000 entries takes at least 160 seconds no matter how I tweak the mysql settings.
I set the browser timeout in FF to 600 secs but that doesn't help, and the apache is set to a timeout of 600 secs as well. Still there's a timeout after 120 secs.
I know this is my problem and not that of mybbRolleyes, but if there is no way around it I thought maybe there is another way to upgrade...
I solved the issue by rewriting upgrade.php and resources/upgrade12.php so they can be run in a terminal.
Took 3 hours but still better than trying to figure out what web server settings to tweak.