MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Cant get past the 3rd step, CHMOD problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been at this for hours searching google and this board but people are not very considerate and when they have their problem fixed they just post "FIXED THANKS" or whatever, not specifying as to what they did to fix their problem.

Here's my problem. When I go to /install/index.php all I get is a white back ground with a bunch of text. When I scroll further down, I see this:

The configuration file (inc/config.php) is not writable. Please adjust the chmod permissions to allow it to be written to.
"; $configstatus = "Not Writable\n"; $showerror = 1; } else { $configstatus = "Writable\n"; } $settingswritable = is_writeable("../inc/settings.php"); if(!$settingswritable) { $errors[] = "

The settings file (inc/settings.php) is not writable. Please adjust the chmod permissions to allow it to be written to.
"; $settingsstatus = "Not Writable\n"; $showerror = 1; } else { $settingsstatus = "Writable\n"; } $uploadswritable = is_writeable("../uploads"); if(!$uploadswritable) { $errors[] = "

The uploads directory (uploads/) is not writable. Please adjust the chmod permissions to allow it to be written to.
"; $uploadsstatus = "Not Writable\n"; $showerror = 1; } else { $uploadsstatus = "Writable\n"; } $avatarswritable = is_writeable("../uploads/avatars"); if(!$avatarswritable) { $errors[] = "

The avatars directory (uploads/avatars/) is not writable. Please adjust the chmod permissions to allow it to be written to.

The odd thing is when I check the permissions of config.php and settings.php, they're set at 666 like I was told to. But when I check the Upload folder and the Avatar folder, I'm not able to change their permissions.

So I search for answers again and I read that since my server's operating system is Linux, I should set both the Avatar and Upload folders to 777. So I do, and I still get the same error, that neither one of the 4 files are still writable despite the fact when I check their permissions they are all set at the correct setting. Thanks for your time and for the help in advance.

btw: I'm using FlashFXP as my ftp program.

I would set them to 777. 666 doesn't work for some reason...

Umm... if they are 777 then I'm lost... o_o;
do you want in my ftp server? You're more than welcomed to have a look.
I cannot because I'm at school.

You'll have to check it yourself.

If you have cPanel you can do it through the File Manager.
Actually, 666 should work on files on linux servers, however not on uploads folder.
So, you need to go to your server, find inc/config.php and inc/settings.php rightclick them then try find something called "CHMOD" or anything like that. and change that to 666. you should see an number 644 or something like that.

Then go back, find uploads, rightclick the folder, find CHMOD again, set it to 777, and check "apply changes to subfolders" (or something like that), long time since I've used FlashFXP, hope this helps.