MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MySQL or MySQLi?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
MySQLi = MySQL Improved I don't know the exact differences, you'll have to Google that. MyBB will function the same however it may be slower if you use MySQL rather than MySQLi. (If speed is one of the things they improved on)
(2011-01-05, 10:36 PM)pyridine Wrote: [ -> ]MySQLi = MySQL Improved I don't know the exact differences, you'll have to Google that. MyBB will function the same however it may be slower if you use MySQL rather than MySQLi. (If speed is one of the things they improved on)

I see, so MyBB don't recommend one or the other?
(2011-01-05, 10:48 PM)Nerve Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-01-05, 10:36 PM)pyridine Wrote: [ -> ]MySQLi = MySQL Improved I don't know the exact differences, you'll have to Google that. MyBB will function the same however it may be slower if you use MySQL rather than MySQLi. (If speed is one of the things they improved on)

If your server supports MySQLi, use it. If it doesn't, then you'll have to use MySQL.
(2011-01-05, 10:51 PM)pyridine Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-01-05, 10:48 PM)Nerve Wrote: [ -> ]

If your server supports MySQLi, use it. If it doesn't, then you'll have to use MySQL.

I just don't understand why some people say MySQL over MySQLi, there must be reasons behind it.

Don't really know why you made another thread on this, threads merged.

Some people say MySQLi is slightly slower than MySQL but unless you have an enormous forum it's not going to make much difference. If you don't know/can't choose which one to use, flip a coin just use MySQLi.
MySQLi is an object oriented approach for PHP to access and communicate with the MySQL server. The database itself is not different, only the way PHP accesses it.

It is recommended to use the MySQLi extension for PHP since MySQL 4.13 to take full advantage of the new features of MySQL 4.13+

From what I have read, PHP will be dropping MySQL in version 6 and only supporting MySQLi
(2011-01-05, 11:16 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Don't really know why you made another thread on this, threads merged.

Some people say MySQLi is slightly slower than MySQL but unless you have an enormous forum it's not going to make much difference. If you don't know/can't choose which one to use, flip a coin just use MySQLi.

I did? I think I was under the impression I was on another MyBB Support board, sorry! Toungue

(2011-01-05, 11:22 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]MySQLi is an object oriented approach for PHP to access and communicate with the MySQL server. The database itself is not different, only the way PHP accesses it.

It is recommended to use the MySQLi extension for PHP since MySQL 4.13 to take full advantage of the new features of MySQL 4.13+

From what I have read, PHP will be dropping MySQL in version 6 and only supporting MySQLi

So if they're dropping MySQL I guess MySQLi is the better option ey.
Question: How to switch back from mysqli to mysql?
In ./inc/config.php, just change the database type from mysqli to mysql.
Hmm.. thanks!
Pages: 1 2