MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Move my database to another host?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys, its me asking again!
Let me sum up my story like this:

I'm using byethost (Free) for my forums. And now I want to use another host. We don't want to lose my members and posts that we've made so far.

I've been asking and looking for the answers on several forums, but they didn't say it clear (even in my mother language LOL)

They all say the same things, namely download your code and upload them to your new host, then back up then restore blah blah blah~

Well, they're true but to a newbie like me, its all Greek!

Can you please show me every detail of how to move my database into another host?

For E.g:
Download "this" by using "that" from "here" and upload to "there", so on...

It'd be great if you gave me a TUT video Smile

And, do i need to install myBB onto my new host before I move everything?
Thank you so much!
Take Backup of your forum.
Download the backup.
Go to new host.
Make a database.
and import backup of old forum in phpmyadmin of your CPanel.
are you using any theme or mybb default theme
(2011-01-06, 11:21 AM)needy Wrote: [ -> ]are you using any theme or mybb default theme

@needy
Why does that matter ? Confused

1. Backup you website files/folders
2. Export your current database as a .sql file using phpmyadmin.
3. Upload your backed up files to you new host
4. Create a new database at your new host (in cPanel or whatever your new host uses)
5. Import your .sql file to your newly created database.

Thats why I still cant understand

1. Backup you website files/folders => I go to MySQL Databases and back up or download the backup by using Tool & Maintain?
2. Export your current database as a .sql file using phpmyadmin => OK!
3. Upload your backed up files to you new host => Upload to htdocs??
4. Create a new database at your new host (in cPanel or whatever your new host uses) => Can I creat it before hand??
5. Import your .sql file to your newly created database. => phpadmin???

DO I NEED TO INSTALL MYBB TO MY NEW HOST BEFORE I START MOVING?

Thank you, guys!
Your files and folders are NOT your database. There going to be in your FTP client or whatever you use. Where did you upload your mybb files to ? Back up those.

Then upload those files to ur new host.

You dont need to re-install mybb, when you create a new database with your new host and import your sql file and upload the files your files and database will link and thats it.
(2011-01-06, 04:16 PM)Jen_Vuongyen Wrote: [ -> ]Thats why I still cant understand

1. Backup you website files/folders => I go to MySQL Databases and back up or download the backup by using Tool & Maintain?
Yes.
(2011-01-06, 04:16 PM)Jen_Vuongyen Wrote: [ -> ]3. Upload your backed up files to you new host => Upload to htdocs??
in public_html/ folder if you want to make a root domain as your forum URL. Otherwise make another "folder" and upload the contents.
(2011-01-06, 04:16 PM)Jen_Vuongyen Wrote: [ -> ]4. Create a new database at your new host (in cPanel or whatever your new host uses) => Can I creat it before hand??
Yes, you've to create a database with username and password, and add all privilieges to the user of that database.
(2011-01-06, 04:16 PM)Jen_Vuongyen Wrote: [ -> ]5. Import your .sql file to your newly created database. => phpadmin???

in "phpmyadmin".
Well, its not gonna work if I keep talking only. Here some pics
My CPanel
[Image: 01.jpg]
I do to my sql database, choose Back up
[Image: 02.jpg]
It says The database backup was saved in the /_Backups/ folder
~> Then when I go to Online file manager / _Backups I see a file .sql.bz2
Where should I upload it on my new host?

then i go to my phpmyadmin, connect and export ALL tables.
But I don't really know what option should I choose (in the right) so I leave them as default.
Quote:Save as file File name template1 : ( remember template )
Compression: None "zipped" "gzipped" "bzipped"
Choose "None"??
[Image: 02-1.jpg]
Then, what should I do?

Go to mysql database on my new host and upload the file??

Yes.

I'm sorry buy this is an optional question. Which option did you say "yes"? Smile
Sorry for being clueless! Thanks for reading my posts and helping me.
Let me try to put this informations together Wink

There are 2 parts, the files and the database.

1. Simply copy every file to your new host.
2. Take a backup of the database, for example with phpmyadmin or with tool&maintain.
3. Import the database-data (should be a .sql-file) in your new database. You can use phpmyadmin. Select your database, click on "import" and select the file.
4. Adjust your mysql settings in inc/config.php (database, username, password)
5. Go to your board Wink

And yeah, maybe the dir is "htdocs", simply try Wink
@thebod:

1. Simply copy every file to your new host. =>
I'm sory but how?? Sad I mean, is there any way that I can copy them ALL one shot? If I have to copy every single files, I'd be crazy ~

2. Take a backup of the database, for example with phpmyadmin or with tool&maintain.

3. Import the database-data (should be a .sql-file) in your new database. You can use phpmyadmin. Select your database, click on "import" and select the file.

4. Adjust your mysql settings in inc/config.php (database, username, password) =>in phpmyadmin ? Smile

5. Go to your board

_________

I havent installed anything on mu new host, even myBB. Do I need to install it?

Thank you Smile
Pages: 1 2