MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: SMF 1.1 to MyBB - Few Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have run a few forums before and have used a converter before (was actually MyBB to vBulletin over a year ago at least, probably 2) so I have some experience.

Currently I run a relatively small forum at www.vizslaforums.com (last month we only had 700 posts, 125k page views) so I don't think it will take too long to convert the database.

But I have a few questions:

1. Are users passwords saved? From my Mybb -> vB convert the users had to reset their passwords. Will this happen?

2. Is there any content that will be lost in the merge? I assume all users (including profile information), posts, topics, attachments, categories etc. are saved. But there is not definitive list of what is saved for each software.

3. I also run tinyportal on my forum, we have a nice front page that helps new visitors easily see what the forum is about, how to register etc. and I have some articles. I know this can't be converted, but I would like to copy it over.

So would it be possible for me to setup MyBB in a new directory then find a portal/frontpage system for MyBB, add the new homepage, copy the articles etc. and then do the merge?

I think it would take me a few hours to add the portal, so if I merged first then added the portal after then I think some posts would be lost.

4. Is there any problems known with the SMF converter?

Thanks
1. Yes, they are saved.
2. There shouldn't be but if there is nothing major will be lost.
3. Well you cant convert the plugin over but MyBB comes with a portal. Instead of /index.php go to /portal.php
4. No, if anything goes wrong im sure you can get help on their forums. Remember there is no SMF 1.1 to MyBB 1.6 converter but a 1.4 converter will work just fine.

Good luck with your merge.
Actually 4. is wrong
I'm pretty sure there is a issue with smf attachments still if you search trough the merge support forum you should find some answers.
and also there is a 1.1 to 1.6 converter as this is still smfs stable version
i got the error
1366 - Incorrect integer value: '' for column 'lastpost' at row 1
while converting smf 1.1.x to mybb 1.6
You'd probably get better support if you start your own topic as this is a different matter, but i'm not even sure what that error means.
I converted smf2 to mybb and never had any issues.
(2011-01-07, 09:11 AM)adbrad Wrote: [ -> ]You'd probably get better support if you start your own topic as this is a different matter, but i'm not even sure what that error means.
I converted smf2 to mybb and never had any issues.
yah
i will..
i am really confused
i have tried convert fresh phpbb and smf to mybb (to learn how actually converting as i never used such system)
but all getting erros
*sigh
(2011-01-07, 02:54 AM)dK JaSon Wrote: [ -> ]4. No, if anything goes wrong im sure you can get help on their forums. Remember there is no SMF 1.1 to MyBB 1.6 converter but a 1.4 converter will work just fine.

Incorrect, the MyBB Merge System is for MyBB 1.6.

My suggestion is to do a few test merges, since it doesn't change anything with your SMF forum you can leave it running and practice.
are you using the corect merge system for the correct version of mybb.
Thanks for everyones help. I have been told that there could be SEO problems with the merge - specifically to threads.

Right now about 70% traffic comes from google and other SE's. About 60% of this goes to the homepage, but the other 40% is long tail keywords that go direct to threads. I understand that the thread URLs will change, is there any way to prevent this or to set up redirects?
After advice from my other thread I am trying a test run of the convert.

I have the details of my SMF database (SMF 1.1) and they are definitely correct, copied from the SMF forum's config file.

However, after entering these all in MyBB and pressing submit it just has a blank white screen and no error messages or anything.
I got this to work eventually, but there have been a few problems.

Passwords do not work, the plugin for it is enabled and it didn't work. I deactivated it so I could reactivate it, but it wont reactivate as it says it doesn't work with SMF 1601.

And attachments appear in posts, but they are empty when downloaded and it gave this error in the report:

The following errors were logged during the process of the Merge System:

Attachments:
Error could not find the attachment (ID: 1)
Error could not find the attachment (ID: 2)
Error could not find the attachment (ID: 3)
Error could not find the attachment (ID: 4)
Error could not find the attachment thumbnail (ID: 5)
Error could not find the attachment (ID: 6)
Error could not find the attachment thumbnail (ID: 7)
Error could not find the attachment (ID: 8)
Error could not find the attachment (ID: 9)
Error could not find the attachment (ID: 10)
Error could not find the attachment (ID: 11)
Error could not find the attachment thumbnail (ID: 12)
Error could not find the attachment (ID: 13)
Error could not find the attachment thumbnail (ID: 14)
Error could not find the attachment thumbnail (ID: 15)
Error could not find the attachment thumbnail (ID: 16)
Error could not find the attachment (ID: 17)
Error could not find the attachment (ID: 18)
Error could not find the attachment (ID: 19)
Error could not find the attachment (ID: 20)
Error could not find the attachment (ID: 21)
Error could not find the attachment thumbnail (ID: 22)
Error could not find the attachment thumbnail (ID: 23)
Error could not find the attachment thumbnail (ID: 24)
Error could not find the attachment (ID: 25)
Error could not find the attachment thumbnail (ID: 26)
Error could not find the attachment thumbnail (ID: 27)
Error could not find the attachment (ID: 28)
Error could not find the attachment thumbnail (ID: 29)
Error could not find the attachment (ID: 30)
Error could not find the attachment thumbnail (ID: 31)
Error could not find the attachment thumbnail (ID: 32)

This goes on until the ID is well over 700.
Pages: 1 2