MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Uploading myBB files to sub domain
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey All,

I have the site: eatthisottawa.com and I have registered the subdomain forum.eatthisottawa.com with godaddy, who also hosts my site. When I connect to forum.eatthisottawa.com with CuteFTP, it shows the same directory listing as the main eatthisottawa.com site. From what I understand, it should show nothing yet since I haven't uploaded anything to the new forum.eatthisottawa.com - If I choose to upload the myBB files from the zip file i downloaded, they do upload but they upload to eatthisottawa.com and overwrite my actual website. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks in Advance!!

Jen
You dont login to the subdomain when you register your subdomain login to "/" and you should see a folder with the name of the subdomain you registered, upload there, run through the install and finished.

Different hosts are setup differently so the following may or may not apply to you but its most likely how it is setup.

Your site has just one IP, the main domain and subdomains on the site are then setup virtually where the webserver sees what url is requested and then sends out the content of the site accordingly.
So when you connect via ftp, it doesn't matter if you're connecting to the main domain or the subdomain since its the same ip.

Now to upload stuff to your subdomain, there should be a folder with the same name as the subdomain, thats where all the subdomain files will go.

for example:
Main domain: example.com
Folder: /
Subdomain: sub.example.com
Folder: /sub/

Thanks so much guys, much appreciated!!