MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Limiting registration of my site's members
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After 8 years with phpBB, I'm glad to have come across MyBB for my newer site Smile

I want to limit membership to existing members of my site. I want to do this with the least code hacking possible!

Here's how I was going to approach it, maybe you could tell me if this makes sense?
  • Option 1: require administrator activation of accounts, and I manually check if they are members.
  • Option 2: Allow open registration, and allow open posting to "Pre-sales" forum, but manually add site members to a special user group. That group only can post to the members' forum.

Without coding up a solution, is there any better approach than these two options?
You can set accounts to require admin activation when they register, and they'll be in their own usergroup, so you can set whatever permissions you want for that group. You could do both of those options at once.
Aha, so when they register they will be added to the "Awaiting Activation" group. I can give that group whatever permissions I like, such as being able to post to the pre-sales forum.

If I activate a user, they will be moved by default to the "Registered" group. That group could have permission to post to the members' forum.

- If I decline a user's activation, how does MyBB handle this? I guess they are removed from the Awaiting Activation group?

- If I have administrator activation set, and give the Awaiting Activation group permissions to a certain forum, will that functionality be obvious to a newly-registered members? Or will they be shown a message "please wait for activation" and then they'll presume they have to wait to be able to post to that forum?
There's no option to decline them per se... there's just an option to activate them which will, as you said, move them to the Registered group, but you can do whatever you want with them if you don't want to activate them.

By default there's no message, but you can install this if you want to show users that they're awaiting activation, which will explain that they may not be able to post everywhere yet (you might also want to install this so you can see how many people are awaiting activation).