MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Give each plugin it's own folder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Plugins are always easy to find, and you don't need to find it in order to exploit a vulnerability.

For example if a plugin hooks into showthread.php and has a vulnerability, an attacker would not bother trying to find the plugin, an attacker would just send a request to showthread.php directly and see if it works or not.

So no, this is not security related at all.

This discussion is tiring - plugin authors who want to use folders can already do so, I don't think the single php file that has to be outside is a problem. Wink
(2011-01-13, 03:59 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]Plugins are always easy to find, and you don't need to find it in order to exploit a vulnerability.

For example if a plugin hooks into showthread.php and has a vulnerability, an attacker would not bother trying to find the plugin, an attacker would just send a request to showthread.php directly and see if it works or not.

So no, this is not security related at all.

This discussion is tiring - plugin authors who want to use folders can already do so, I don't think the single php file that has to be outside is a problem. Wink

Ah thanks for that, i wasn't quite sure,
(2011-01-13, 02:10 PM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]So it would be like it is, but if MyBB finds a folder in the plugins folder (and only in the plugins folder) it will load {plugin}/{plugin}.php and use the info from that?
That's basically what I'm suggesting.

(2011-01-13, 03:59 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]This discussion is tiring - plugin authors who want to use folders can already do so, I don't think the single php file that has to be outside is a problem. Wink
I've had people who forgot to copy the folder. Okay, that's not the fault of the developer or MyBB but it would be more convenient for the administrator to copy just one folder. And that's only how I see it. I'm not saying everybody should be doing that Smile It would unclutter the plugin directory a bit by minimizing the amount of files/folders that are in the plugin folder.

This was only a suggestion. Nothing more, nothing less.
(2011-01-13, 03:59 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]This discussion is tiring - plugin authors who want to use folders can already do so, I don't think the single php file that has to be outside is a problem. Wink

In my opinion developers should be 'forced' to use folders inside the plugin directory, when the bring additional files with it. I saw a couple of plugins, which spread their files (language file, js files, images etc.) over the whole mybb filesystem.

Such plugins are hard to remove, even if you don't have the source archive anymore. MyBB devs should add any possibility to ease folder support for plugin developers. Both, plugin developers and users would benefit from it.
(2011-04-13, 10:54 PM)lorus Wrote: [ -> ]

In my opinion developers should be 'forced' to use folders inside the plugin directory, when the bring additional files with it. I saw a couple of plugins, which spread their files (language file, js files, images etc.) over the whole mybb filesystem.

Such plugins are hard to remove, even if you don't have the source archive anymore. MyBB devs should add any possibility to ease folder support for plugin developers. Both, plugin developers and users would benefit from it.

There is no detriment to leaving files from a plugin. It's not like these are 10mb files. Most are 1-3k at best. I follow the existing structure of MyBB. JS files belong in scripts. Images belong in the themes images folder. Languages belong in language folder. Where is the difficulty in that?

Just the language folders are important. If you're saying that now a plugin file has to be in a folder then that folder must now have a handful of other folders. Ridiculous. You're adding complication to a very simple structure.

Not sure about you but I don't add and remove plugins constantly. And when I'm looking for a lang I want to only go into one place to look for it. Authors that use the plugins folder to make other folders I don't install. I consider them rogue plugins which tend to not follow standards and I refuse to use them.

(2011-04-13, 11:10 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I consider them rogue plugins which tend to not follow standards and I refuse to use them.

So you're saying MyNetwork doesn't follow standards? Strange. I believe some of the largest plugins need to separate themselves. If I start shoving hundreds of files throughout the MyBB directory, it'll be near impossible to remove it.

In 2.0, each plugin has a separate directory. It's just easier with the structure it has.
(2011-04-14, 07:53 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-04-13, 11:10 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I consider them rogue plugins which tend to not follow standards and I refuse to use them.

So you're saying MyNetwork doesn't follow standards? Strange. I believe some of the largest plugins need to separate themselves. If I start shoving hundreds of files throughout the MyBB directory, it'll be near impossible to remove it.

In 2.0, each plugin has a separate directory. It's just easier with the structure it has.

I kind of agree here. I think it's a good idea to at least keep them separate, but we don't really need to worry about this till 2.0.
(2011-04-14, 07:53 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]In 2.0, each plugin has a separate directory. It's just easier with the structure it has.

Thank you. It's great to hear the opinion of a MyBB dev on this. It's quite confusing for administrators right now. Some plugins are packed with all the structure starting from the MyBB root, some are a single file and other are a bunch of files which the admin has to copy manually in different folders. It would be much easier if the admin just has to copy one folder into the plugin folder. If all plugins follow the same structure, it would also be easier to create a system to download/install/update plugins from within the AdminCP.

It would also be nice if tasks or cronjobs can be in the separate folder of the plugin.

Well..you're own words here:

Quote:I found it important to seperate what MyNetwork does and what other plugins do

Here is a definition of rogue: "no longer obedient, belonging, or accepted and hence not controllable or answerable;"

So you see...I think my statement holds true. You purposely separated your plugin from MyBB standards which made it no longer belonging or obedient to MyBB. You separated it.

Now that's not meant to offend. It's meant to define. A definition which you yourself have created. You went outside of MyBB standards intentionally.

Hey, if MyBB changed standards I'd be fine with that. I'm positive that 2.0 will do just about everything differently anyways. Standards are important though. When you start having everyone do things their way it can easily create confusion. You know this..I know you do. That's why you're lead developer. Would you accept code for the base that was written outside the standards of MyBB? I highly doubt it.

btw...I have no idea what My Network does. Even after trying to find out. My best guess is that it's a plugin system outside of MyBB.

as long as the plugin folder structure requirements are standardized, released in advance and perhaps even debated amongst plugin developers, then it is fine.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6