MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Invision 2.0 conversion?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A forum I help moderate keeps patching its old Invision 2.0 software it got before they started charging. It works to a certain extent, but we keep having to find more convoluted ways to counter spambots and what not.

I've been looking around at other forum software to see if we can just get rid of old stuff once and for all and be on something modern that will actually get updates, but the guy in charge of the forum is reluctant to any sort of change as its a fairly small forum and he doesn't want to scare away what little activity we have.

I tried out the convert tool today and found that it worked mostly well, I had to change a few lines that were expected non-null values to just give out zero if it was null. I couldn't get polls or forum permissions to convert properly. Forum permissions is no big deal, there are few enough to do by hand. Polls was putting text where it expected numbers and what not, so I'd either have to figure out whats going on there or just lose the polls.

Also top level statisitics, like user postcounts and how many posts/threads are on a forum didn't update. Again, I can probably figure out how to fix this myself. However, I was wondering if there is some better way to do all that. Was 2.0 converts never supported, or could I find an old copy 1.4 and the 1.4 converter (which apparently supported 2.0), then upgrade to 1.6?

Also if any of you have some good arguments for what MyBB provides over 6 year old invision software, that I can use to try and boost my cause to finally switch, that would be great too =)
Post counts/posts and threads can normaly get fixed by acp>tools & maintenence>recount & rebuild

You can download 1.4 here http://wiki.mybb.com/index.php/Versions not sure where you'd get the 1.4 merge files from.
You could convert to 1.4 then upgrade

Edit: is there a way you could upgrade to 2.1 as this is covered on the 1.6 merge system
(2011-01-09, 12:45 AM)adbrad Wrote: [ -> ]Post counts/posts and threads can normaly get fixed by acp>tools & maintenence>recount & rebuild

You can download 1.4 here http://wiki.mybb.com/index.php/Versions not sure where you'd get the 1.4 merge files from.

Edit: is there a way you could upgrade to 2.1 as this is covered on the 1.6 merge system

you mean upgrade invision to 2.1? I'm fairly sure if we could do that we would've done it already. Nice to know about the recount/rebuild thing. Wasn't looking forwarding to having to write that script =)
I still have the 1.4 convert files but not sure if i would be allowed to attach them here.
I'm sure someone else may know if the 1.4 merge is still available for download.
Like, unless the convert files somehow fix the artifacts from quotes or foreign characters in the posts, the only real benefit now that I can fix the stats would be the is the polls and that really isn't that important. Thanks anyways though.
Did you have the script automatically convert them to utf-8 if you did try it again with out.
I'm pretty sure dylan may be along soon, he's the one who maintains the merge system so should be able to help further
(2011-01-09, 12:45 AM)adbrad Wrote: [ -> ]Post counts/posts and threads can normaly get fixed by acp>tools & maintenence>recount & rebuild

(2011-01-09, 12:59 AM)adbrad Wrote: [ -> ]I still have the 1.4 convert files but not sure if i would be allowed to attach them here.
I'm sure someone else may know if the 1.4 merge is still available for download.

Actually the versions supported are the same for both merge systems (1.4 and 1.6) so you'll need 2.1 regardless. But if its working except polls and permissions I'd roll with it. If you can wait about two weeks I can help you figure out the polls too.
(2011-01-09, 01:13 AM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]

(2011-01-09, 12:59 AM)adbrad Wrote: [ -> ]I still have the 1.4 convert files but not sure if i would be allowed to attach them here.

Actually the versions supported are the same for both merge systems (1.4 and 1.6) so you'll need 2.1 regardless. But if its working except polls and permissions I'd roll with it. If you can wait about two weeks I can help you figure out the polls too.

Nice to know. I think I'll be able to figure it out, and I still donno if we're actually converting (one of the moderators apparently doesn't like how MyBB looks regardless of skin...) but if I need anymore help I'll be sure to let you know =)

(2011-01-09, 01:35 AM)cluckyb Wrote: [ -> ]Nice to know. I think I'll be able to figure it out, and I still donno if we're actually converting (one of the moderators apparently doesn't like how MyBB looks regardless of skin...) but if I need anymore help I'll be sure to let you know =)

Erm, you can theme MyBB however you want. You can even make it look exactly like some other forum system. I know someone who is in the process of converting from YaBB and made MyBB look exactly like their YaBB board.