MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: h1, h2, h3 tags SEO
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
When viewing any given thread, the thread title is most important, followed by the name of the forum it's in, followed by the forum description, thus:

H1 Tags should only be used once on a page.

h1: thread title
h2: forum title
h3: forum description

Is there any plugin/code for this?
Since this depends heavily on theme / css you're using, you're probably best off doing this yourself, in your own templates, if you want it. A plugin that just plasters <hx> tags all over the place would be more likely to break your design than help anything.

Quote:h1: thread title
h2: forum title
h3: forum description

I'd never put a description in a <h> tag. <h> are for headings, titles, whereas descriptions are regular text. It depends on the page which h tag to use for what.

For example index page, probably:

h1: Name of the Site or entire Forum
h2: Categories
h3: Forums
h4: Subforums

Personally, I don't deem h-Tags important enough to make this kind of change just for search engines. Also I'm afraid that doing this would turn out to be too many h tags. Also this content is table based in MyBB, and I'm not entirely sure if it's really the right thing to do to put h tags as only table cell element...

Webmaster Tools has a "HTML suggestions" tool, but they don't even mention h tags. They only make suggestions regarding meta description and title there. Nowhere does it complain about not seeing <h> tags anywhere. So my personal guess is that this is not too important.

YMMV. Wink
(2011-01-09, 02:40 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]Personally, I don't deem h-Tags important enough to make this kind of change just for search engines. Also I'm afraid that doing this would turn out to be too many h tags. Also this content is table based in MyBB, and I'm not entirely sure if it's really the right thing to do to put h tags as only table cell element...

Webmaster Tools has a "HTML suggestions" tool, but they don't even mention h tags. They only make suggestions regarding meta description and title there. Nowhere does it complain about not seeing <h> tags anywhere. So my personal guess is that this is not too important.

YMMV. Wink

There are thousands of discussions about the importance of h-Tags on internet for every well known forum script.
Vb$eo talks about h-Tags

I am unable to edit template my self, any guidance/tutorial is required please.
So even with a $149 SEO solution you have to do this manually? I'm impressed...

Quote:There are thousands of discussions about the importance of h-Tags

There can be a million discussions and still none of them matter.

Read Google's SEO Starter Guide, page 20, on heading tags. That's reliable information coming from the people who are making the search engine you're supposedly optimizing for.

I can't help you with a tutorial regarding editing templates (anyone can do it Huh), so the only suggestion I can give you is: Don't overdo it. As the SEO guide will tell you, heading tags should be used sparingly and avoided if they wouldn't be helpful in defining the structure of the page.

The problem with heading tags and forums is, that heading tags are made for text documents that have sections, subsections, sometimes even subsubsections. And you don't need a SEO guide for those, you use the heading tags automatically because it's the obvious choice.

A forum on the other hand does not quite fit into this structure. Most pages only have one element (the thread you're currently reading), and not text that is structured in sections. Unless you're planning on considering a thread a section, each reply in the thread as subsection, and each quote within a reply as subsubsection - which would be overdoing things - there just isn't much room in heading tags.

Again, if it really was that important, it would be mentioned in Google Webmaster Tools (again an official source that matters), as already done with title and meta tags.
(2011-01-09, 05:15 PM)frotstschuz Wrote: [ -> ]So even with a $149 SEO solution you have to do this manually? I'm impressed...

Quote:There are thousands of discussions about the importance of h-Tags

There can be a million discussions and still none of them matter.

Read Google's SEO Starter Guide, page 20, on heading tags. That's reliable information coming from the people who are making the search engine you're supposedly optimizing for.

I can't help you with a tutorial regarding editing templates (anyone can do it Huh), so the only suggestion I can give you is: Don't overdo it. As the SEO guide will tell you, heading tags should be used sparingly and avoided if they wouldn't be helpful in defining the structure of the page.

The problem with heading tags and forums is, that heading tags are made for text documents that have sections, subsections, sometimes even subsubsections. And you don't need a SEO guide for those, you use the heading tags automatically because it's the obvious choice.

A forum on the other hand does not quite fit into this structure. Most pages only have one element (the thread you're currently reading), and not text that is structured in sections. Unless you're planning on considering a thread a section, each reply in the thread as subsection, and each quote within a reply as subsubsection - which would be overdoing things - there just isn't much room in heading tags.

Again, if it really was that important, it would be mentioned in Google Webmaster Tools (again an official source that matters), as already done with title and meta tags.

I truly respect whatever you said above, I am not denying logic.
I am long term user of Joomla and wordpress so I know how h-Tags are used.

SEO is all about tweaking different things which you knows better than me.

My thought come from DP Forumthey are using H1 Tags for every thread Title which you can view in page source via your web browser, even they are not using SEF Urls.
I am not saying that this is the only thing they are doing for SEO, I am just trying to tell you that forums can also take advantage of H-Tags Smile

second, my friend has a forumpowerd by VB & VB$eo, he is also using H-Tags in the titles and I know how much time they rank #1 in google search.

If you don't break the rules you are safe.
I am waiting for anyone who can help me Smile
Can anyone please help...?
(2011-01-11, 06:34 AM)ahmerkhan Wrote: [ -> ]Can anyone please help...?

This is what I do. Add this to global.css.

h1, h2, h3, p {
	margin: 0;
}

In nav_bit_active, add the h1 tag like this.

<h1 class="active">{$navbit['name']}</h1>

In forumbit_depth2_forum, I add my h2 tags there.

<strong><a href="{$forum_url}">{$forum['name']}</a></strong>

Replace strong with h2 tags. If the font size is weird, move h2 to its own class in CSS. Then replace the div with p tags here in the same template.

<div class="smalltext">{$forum['description']}{$modlist}{$subforums}</div>
The task has been done but there are two problems.

1) The Forum Navigation has been break from single line to double lines.

Before:
Home > My Category > My Forum

After:
Home > My Category >
My Forum

<template name="nav" version="1406"><![CDATA[<div class="navigation">
{$nav}{$activesep}<h1 class="active">{$navbit['name']}</h1>
</div>]]></template>

2) Forum Sections font size looks bigger now.

Screenshot.
[attachment=21309]
I assume that's because $navbit['name'] is in h1 tags. They automatically truncate to a new line. Instead use a <strong> or something Smile
Hm, using the navigation as a title is a semantic error...

Here are my template mods for adding H1 tags:

Template showthread

Find this:
<strong>{$thread['threadprefix']}{$thread['subject']}</strong>

Replace with:
<h1>{$thread['threadprefix']}{$thread['subject']}</h1>

Template forumdisplay_threadlist

Find this:
<strong>{$foruminfo['name']}</strong>

Replace with:
<h1>{$foruminfo['name']}</h1>

Template announcement

Find this:
<strong>{$lang->forum_announcement}</strong>

Replace with:
<h1>{$lang->forum_announcement}</h1>

Now without modifing the stylesheet all titles are a little bit too big. So you have to add this to your global.css:

h1 {
	font-size: 13px;
	margin: 0;
}
Pages: 1 2