MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Suggestion: Some changes for the way Custom Profile Fields work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have some suggestions on how the custom profile fields work.

1) Make them appear at registration even if the user editable option is set to "no."
For a long time I couldn't understand why my options weren't showing up. After playing with it I discovered it was because the user editable option was turned off. I took this to mean that once set, they couldn't change the profile field. In theory I can see how this makes a little sense, if they can't edit it, then don't show it; but that means there's no way to get the data into the field initially.

2) Make non-required profile fields show up on the registration page.
As it is currently, if it's not a "Required" profile field, it doesn't show up on the registration page. If non-required fields would be visible, the user would be much more likely to fill them out if applicable to them during registration. Take this profile field for example, "What is your twitter username?" If they have a twitter account, it would be nice to allow them to fill it in during registration, WHILE not being mandatory.

On further thought, I believe the solution would be to make custom profile fields appear/not appear in the registration page no matter what unless a switch is turned off/on.

Mandatory fields would still be mandatory.
Optional fields would still be optional
Non-user editable fields would accept user input the first time only (during registration)
If it's not set to be editable by the user it's designed to be something staff use, that's what that option is designed to be there for.
I wanted to bring this one up again

Look i want a custom profile field like name to be required at registration and I won't activate the User unless it's accurate
And I want it not to be editabel by him after he registers
I don't want them to type .... in place of it after they are activated

Is It clear or i need to explain?
(2011-01-13, 03:34 AM)Monaco Wrote: [ -> ]2) Make non-required profile fields show up on the registration page.
As it is currently, if it's not a "Required" profile field, it doesn't show up on the registration page. If non-required fields would be visible, the user would be much more likely to fill them out if applicable to them during registration. Take this profile field for example, "What is your twitter username?" If they have a twitter account, it would be nice to allow them to fill it in during registration, WHILE not being mandatory.

I just submitted a patch for this.
I have added 2 custom fields. one of them is personnel ID in our company and it's unique for each person. how can I set this custom field to check this field to prevent duplicate entries in registrations form? I want to force users to register only once according to their perosnel ID (or like student ID)
I'd like it if we could display certain profile fields to certain user groups only. For example, having a hidden profile field that only the member and people in the "accounts team" or "technicians" can see, without them having mod/admin privileges Smile