MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Best way to start a forum?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What is the best way to start a forum? Alone or with a team? Which one do you prefer? If you have a big forum, how did you start it and was that a way of assuring its success?
(2011-01-13, 10:05 PM)MihaiOnly Wrote: [ -> ]If you have a big forum, how did you start it and was that a way of assuring its success?

If another forum of that niche already exists, yours will most likely not succeed.
You have to be original, and invest a lot of money & time into it. You need a good domain name, design, content, and such.

Never start a forum with mods. I normally start with 1-2 administrators at my side, if even that.
You don't need mods until there's just too many posts for you to monitor. I'd guess that would be somewhere over 100-200 active members.
(2011-01-13, 10:05 PM)MihaiOnly Wrote: [ -> ]What is the best way to start a forum? Alone or with a team? Which one do you prefer? If you have a big forum, how did you start it and was that a way of assuring its success?

I think the best way to start a forum is with a team. Two heads are better than one. Being in a team will result to a more successful forum. What forum are you planning to put up?
I started alone, and haven't spent a penny. You just have to work, work, work.
I also like to have what I consider to be 1 or 2 too many staff members, so not a single low quality post stays visible.
@CAwesome: there will always be a forum with the same topic on the internet no matter how much you research it, I'm sure.
@Solidus I saw your forum from your signature. I guess this is the forum you were talking about. Congratulations, you really succeded with it.
(2011-01-14, 03:45 AM)Solidus Wrote: [ -> ]I started alone, and haven't spent a penny. You just have to work, work, work.

I invested $0 when starting all my forums except the domain for one which was paid for by the others.

(2011-01-14, 10:29 AM)MihaiOnly Wrote: [ -> ]@CAwesome: there will always be a forum with the same topic on the internet no matter how much you research it, I'm sure.

I have not found another forum on the same topic as my most successful forum.
(2011-01-20, 09:18 PM)dmmcintyre3 Wrote: [ -> ]I have not found another forum on the same topic as my most successful forum.

I have an English forum which was a very original idea but after a search I found at least two on the web. I thought of the existence of a chess forums and you know what? It exists Huh !
What niche is your most successful forum? I'm curious!
i would suggest making something for your site like a program that will bring in more people and i would start it in like a team 1-2 admins that is about it and have an advertising team when you get enough members