MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Site map
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I noticed that most of the websites have published their site maps. Why is it done? Is it necessary to publish your site map?
Some website owners believe that this increases your page rank on search engines as well as your results, and others uses the sitemaps to make it easier for someone to find something. In my opinion, I think it is a great idea to add a sitemap, but it all depends on you.
They are added for the benefit of search engine crawlers to help them to better index your site. While it is not necessary, it is helpful. They would be more in handy if your site uses a lot of flash pages that crawlers won't be able to index
A XML Sitemap, if it's always up to date, tells the search engine which sites to revisit. So you have a higher chance of the search engine seeing your new / updated content earlier than it would with regular crawling, and thus you have a higher chance of your content getting indexed shortly after it was created. The Google SEO plugin offers such a sitemap for MyBB.

An outdated sitemap, on the other hand, is completely useless. If it was created by crawling in the first place (as done by most offline sitemap generator softwares you can download), you're just wasting your time. Google does crawling better than any third party software.