MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Private message form width
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My private message table goes pass the container. I tryed but I couldn't find a way to modify the box's width.
Can someone help me, please?
PS: Mod, please move it to 1.6, I made a mistake when posting here
URL and test account?
The forum is on my local host. The bug is obtained if you lower the width of a container too much. Here's a screen:
http://img15.imageshack.us/i/issue.jpg/
It's probably because that the content is larger than the container, you need to make the container wider.
(2011-01-16, 12:38 PM)Shukaku Wrote: [ -> ]It's probably because that the content is larger than the container, you need to make the container wider.

I could figure this out myself. But my goal is making the PM box smaller, not the container wider. I have a banner and a design to keep. I can't just enlarge it like that Undecided!
Hello,

I realise that this was quite some time ago, and that you probably have resolved your problem already, however I have just come across the same problem when creating a custom theme with a fixed width. I did a lot of searching and found no useful information on how to resolve the issue, so I had to fix it myself. After some further investigation I found a solution.

The one element on the "Compose Private Message" form/page that takes up the most non-breaking space, and is therefore the most likely candidate to be altered is the textarea, however rather than editing the stylesheet.css for the WYSIWYG editor there is a much easier and more effective way to go about this.

Go to:

Admin Panel -> Templates & Style -> Templates -> Private Messaging Templates -> private_send

Find the line:

<textarea name="message" id="message" rows="20" cols="70" tabindex="4">{$message}</textarea>

Alter the "cols" value - the lowest number you can set without the icons wrapping onto a second line is 65 - this reduces the width of the editor sufficiently enough to allow it to fit properly within a fixed-width of as low as 920px or so (and one of the most common fixed widths is 960px, so I suspect it will suit most needs).

It should also be noted, however, that if you want to make it even more narrow, and you don't mind about the icons wrapping, then you can do so, but you would then need to edit the ./jscripts/editor_themes/default/stylesheet.css and add the following (adjust the % to suit your needs):

.messageEditor textarea {
	height: 95% !important;
}