MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can't login successfully
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We've not had a single other user saying there's a problem with usernames with capital letters, it wouldn't have taken this long for it to come up, people can login fine here with a capital letters in their name, seems like it's isolated to you... what MySQL version are you running??
(2011-01-17, 11:16 PM)mberg Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-01-17, 10:48 PM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]What version were you on before upgrading to 1.6.1? Did the upgrade process go through smoothly? Lastly go to Admincp >> Tools & Maintenance >> File verification and check the files are valid.

Lastly, could you list your plugins?

We upgraded from 1.2, no problems encountered with the upgrade. File verification reports missing files in the install folder: install folder was removed after the upgrade as per the instructions in the upgrade documentation.

Could you please verify that you don't see the following behavior in your environment? It seems like the username entered by the user is converted to all lowercase when checking whether the username exists: if the username in DB is 'test', then the user can login by providing 'test', 'TEST' or 'tEsT'. However if the username in DB is 'Test', even logging in with the exact casing does not work (i.e. Test).

Thanks

Do you have access to phpmyadmin? If you do, go to the variables tab and look for the following 3 variables and tell us what their values are:

collation connection
collation database
collation server

If you don't have phpmyadmin then run the following query in your MySQL management program and give us the results

SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'coll%';
MySQL version is 5.0

Variables are:
collation connection: latin1_swedish_ci
(Global value): utf8_general_ci
collation database: utf8_general_ci
collation server: utf8_general_ci

ACP problem resolved: it was due to multiple domain hosting under GoDaddy.
Login problem stands: Are the above variables correct? Should they all match? If yes, what is the correct value? Thanks
Do you know if MySQL is running in strict mode?? This issue is ringing a bell in the back of my mind, there's a setting somewhere in MySQL related to case sensitivity, I can't remember exactly where it is or what it's called though.
MySQL documentation says "You can retrieve the current mode by issuing a SELECT @@sql_mode statement": that statement returns nothing. When I look at sql mode variable value under server variables, it is empty.

Are my collation values correct? _ci at the end of each tells that they are case insensitive I believe
Yes the collation settings seem to be in order. You're correct the _ci at the end does stand for case insensitive which is why I wanted to check those variables.

This issue is definitely your MySQL setup and something there thats causing the fields to be case sensitive. I'm still looking in to it and if I find any other pointers I'll be sure to let you know to try them out. Is there anyway I can have access to phpmyadmin? It'll be easier for me to troubleshoot this issue faster if I can have that, you can PM me the details
You are right: it's gotta be MySQL. Our forum is in Turkish. I noticed that the tables in the database we backed up before upgrading has latin5_turkish_ci as the collation, even though SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'coll%'; returns utf8 for the database, server and connection. I installed a brand new version of the forum, selecting iso-turkish as the encoding, and the tables are created with latin5_turkish_ci. The test forum pointing to that database does not have the login issue.

So, I believe the solution is to convert all the tables' collation to latin5_turkish_ci. I downloaded a PHP script I found to do that but it times out because our posts/users tables are large ~150MB. I have to do it from inside phpmyadmin. I know this forum is about MyBB not MySQL, but do you happen to know the correct ALTER table syntax to convert the collation of all the tables instead of doing it one by one?

Thanks again for your help and time.
(2011-01-19, 05:17 PM)mberg Wrote: [ -> ]You are right: it's gotta be MySQL. Our forum is in Turkish. I noticed that the tables in the database we backed up before upgrading has latin5_turkish_ci as the collation, even though SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'coll%'; returns utf8 for the database, server and connection. I installed a brand new version of the forum, selecting iso-turkish as the encoding, and the tables are created with latin5_turkish_ci. The test forum pointing to that database does not have the login issue.

So, I believe the solution is to convert all the tables' collation to latin5_turkish_ci. I downloaded a PHP script I found to do that but it times out because our posts/users tables are large ~150MB. I have to do it from inside phpmyadmin. I know this forum is about MyBB not MySQL, but do you happen to know the correct ALTER table syntax to convert the collation of all the tables instead of doing it one by one?

Thanks again for your help and time.

I'm not aware of a query that would alter them all at once. PHP scripts would be the way to go but like you said it times out. If you have access to console you could try running the script in console where it won't time out.

On a side note, make sure you backup your database before doing anything, alot of times when you alter the collation, only the database/table is converted but the text inside is not, causing random characters showing up instead of the non-converted characters.

Converting all the tables' collation to latin5_turkish_ci fixed the problem
Thanks
Pages: 1 2