MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Email notification oddness
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

One of the members of our board has just reported receiving an unusual email notification for a new post in a thread he's subscribed to. The unusual thing being that the post doesn't exist nor does the user who supposedly made it.

Obviously we're going to be checking out the email he got to see if it really came from our board, but we thought we'd check if anyone else has heard of similar things happening.
Well you make check if one of your mods has deleted that post. for that reason you have to go to Admin CP > Statistics and Logging

Check
Administrator Log
Moderator Log

regards
Aye, I've done that. One mod did delete a post yesterday so I'll be asking them what that was.

Thing is, the username which supposedly made the notified post has never existed on our board.

Like I said, we're getting copies of the notification email to see if it came from our system.

Thanks for the advice anyway, I could easily have overlooked that.
What was the username of that user who is supposed to have posted that thread.

Have you allowed guest to post threads in your board? because if that's the case, a guest can post with a custom username.

Regards
The username is TeddyOG and, no, guests are not allowed to post.
Okay, problem solved.

We moved boards back in January and someone forgot to lock the old board down. The notification came from there when a spammer posted.
Gr8. but that should be obvious since the begining, because of the message sender name (BB mailer name or something), and the subject.

regards