MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: support helper of the month
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Generally bad idea. I'll be honest with you, I give support if I know the answer and if I can be bothered to do so. This will make others rush in with the same answer then beg for best answers etc.
You'd see the dynamics of the conversations change vastly if you removed all badges period - maybe we should give that a shot.
(2011-01-23, 04:19 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]You'd see the dynamics of the conversations change vastly if you removed all badges period - maybe we should give that a shot.

That'd actually be pretty interesting.
(2011-01-22, 02:07 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]I really don't think this is a good idea..
I agree. I was in a forum where a bunch of us offered help. Some of my techniques became featured tutorials. People were using my techniques and actions on their projects. But my work was never mentioned in the section that honors contributions. I ended up feeling slighted and I left.

Besides, the reputation system gives honor to those people who help a lot. Not that it's perfect. But over time I imagine it becomes representational.
They all dedicate their free time to help, instead of watching a movie or going for a walk, so if you really wanted to give out badges, they all should get one.
People come here, ask their questions and go away.

This feature will only work on a forum with a real niche.
(2011-01-23, 04:19 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]You'd see the dynamics of the conversations change vastly if you removed all badges period - maybe we should give that a shot.

Equally, would it really work if people don't know who are staff?? How would people know who to contact for something?? If we have to post in a thread to stop an argument or make some sort of 'authoritative' (using that term loosely) post, how would that work if people didn't know it was a staff member posting it, because there's no badge?? A badge for staff members is different to providing a carrot for people to reach for by offering a badge on a monthly basis if they post in support.

I don't think people are really thinking these things through and considering what effects they'll have in the long run. I think "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" applies here.
It was merely a sugesstion and i think it has now been made clear that it won't work here. I think this thread can be closed.
/Closed as requested Smile
Pages: 1 2