MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can't change, Can't login?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If you've set your forum up in such a way that that is happening, it's been setup badly, and that's not something we can do anything about. You've got a proper domain, that should work anywhere. Why do you need to set it up like you've done it??
(2011-01-25, 09:38 AM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]If you've set your forum up in such a way that that is happening, it's been setup badly, and that's not something we can do anything about. You've got a proper domain, that should work anywhere. Why do you need to set it up like you've done it??

Actually Matt, he's right. I have the same problem with my girlfriend's DSL. We have a dyndns.org address for her house, and we can't access that from her LAN because her ISP blocks return (loopback) connections. The solution is pretty simple though. Use a proxy server that is outside of your LAN. This makes your source outside of the ISP's network, so it'll come through. Proxify is a good place to start for that.

Another alternative is to edit your hosts file and manually assign the LAN IP of the machine your webserver is running on as the IP for your host. However that will make it fail if you go on the road.
But why is this an issue in the first place?? What exactly is set up differently with this server/domain that isn't a problem with every other server/domain that people use?? That's what I'm getting at, something must be setup here differently to what everybody else uses.
(2011-01-25, 04:34 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]But why is this an issue in the first place?? What exactly is set up differently with this server/domain that isn't a problem with every other server/domain that people use?? That's what I'm getting at, something must be setup here differently to what everybody else uses.

Sir, I don't think you understand exactly what the problem is, I am in this setup:

Internet
|-Router
|--Me
|--Server
|-Everyone else

my router doesn't like loopback, so I'm going to try the hosts file change because it's my router's firmware's fault or somehow my ISP hates me.

aaaand it worked perfectly
(2011-01-25, 04:06 PM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]Another alternative is to edit your hosts file and manually assign the LAN IP of the machine your webserver is running on as the IP for your host. However that will make it fail if you go on the road.

Thank you for this suggestion, I came home thinking "oh, I could change the hosts file" and then I get home and you say "change the hosts file" so uh...great minds think alike?

And no worries about me going on the road, this computer is a tower and isn't going anywhere

(2011-01-25, 04:34 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]But why is this an issue in the first place?? What exactly is set up differently with this server/domain that isn't a problem with every other server/domain that people use?? That's what I'm getting at, something must be setup here differently to what everybody else uses.

Matt, it isn't the server, its the network. Either the router, or more likely the ISP as I stated, is disallowing return connections. He isn't hosted on a public server, but on a private one. Like I said, I have the same issue at my gf's, and hence knowing the work-around.

When I had cable, I could connect to my external IP and get my website. When I moved in with the gf and tried that, I discovered it was blocked. A few minutes of experimenting lead me to the conclusion it wasn't anything other than the ISP or the router/modem. I'm now sure it is the ISP (AT&T DSL) since I bought her a new 2wire modem/router/wireless combo modem to replace the single ethernet motorola she had, and same issue. And it isn't just web sites I couldn't do, its every single port. ssh? Dead. Umm... vnc? Dead.

And because of how MyBB's cookies are setup, you can't use the LAN IP directly either, or it wont work correctly since the cookie settings wouldn't match the info you're connecting with. Its basically just a PITA.
crap, now it's not giving me any new cookies after I cleared them, back to square one?

I had no problems for about a day after I hosts'd it but now I'm unable to stay logged in, what the hell is going on?
Pages: 1 2