MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is there a plugin for who VIEWED the thread (not viewing)?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If you cannot find a free solution suiting your needs and are looking for a paid solution you could become a subscriber ($10) and be able to download all our 170+ plugins, including the one you need :
View Thread Readers

Wink
Aww I have so many plugins to get that are paid plugins but they're on totally different sites like mybbcentral and a couple other ones. I don't want to pay $10 per forum to get like 5 or so plugins that I really need which are scattered across these forums...
What would you pay to have that custom built then? Because properly done this is a few hours of work at least.

And this plugin has to more complicated than a simple add a user to the bottom. Do you want usernames changed to match current user? Do you want to make sure names are not doubled up once it's visited? To do this right you need to use hooks and new tables in the DB. You will need to log each visitor in the table and when they visit again you have to see if indeed they were previously a visitor. It's waste.

You can't add a cool feature without thinking of it's impact.
Ah ok then I guess I'll pass on it. I don't know how it works ... I was assuming thats how it worked but I was wrong.

Thanks!
(2011-01-25, 12:02 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]...
And this plugin has to more complicated than a simple add a user to the bottom. Do you want usernames changed to match current user? Do you want to make sure names are not doubled up once it's visited? To do this right you need to use hooks and new tables in the DB. You will need to log each visitor in the table and when they visit again you have to see if indeed they were previously a visitor. It's waste.

I have to completely disagree with you on this one.

Data is already available from the original MyBB threads and users tables. No new table need to be created. And my plugin is not displaying any doubles at all. No visitor log needed either, MyBB is managing the proper tables by itself.

You can also control the level of the ressources used, by setting the amount of time the data is retained in the table with the usual MyBB settings and the amount of displayed users from the plugin settings.

I am using this plugin on MyBBCodes for almost a year with no issues and the retension time is set for 365 days!

People have used my plugin on big forums with no issues at all...

So you create no new tables? How do you store who viewed a thread? Are you just creating a single column with comma separated uid's or something simple?

Mybb Codes only has 1600 members and 2000 threads. A forum that small will not matter.

And how are you storing the last visit dateline so you can prune?

Obviously OP can run your plugin if he chooses. I still don't see how you run it without being wasteful on an active forum. I'm tempted to subscribe just to review your code.

But really..what's the largest forum running that plugin?
using mybb_threadsread table most likely
Oh snap. MyBB does log that. I feel like an lime now.
As you said, a small forum like mine is easily able to keep a 365 days retension time and a display of the last 50 unique visitors.

But forums having many times my visits/hour could function properly with a 30 days retension times.

You can understand that I will not publish my plugin code here. But it seem that you did not find out the easy way to code such a plugin, it is not as difficult as you wrote it... Wink

P.S. FBI tested it on his forum and he did not report any issues...
(2011-01-25, 04:43 AM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]using mybb_threadsread table most likely

Exactly! Wink
Pages: 1 2