MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Question about backups
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Thanks for making this free forum software. I have tried a bunch and settled on using this one. One of the main reasons why I stuck with MyBB is the Gomobile theme/addon. I wanted to have a forum that would work well with any of the newer mobile phones. I hope there is more development in this area, but I won't get into that subject since its off topic.

So I just installed a fresh copy of MyBB 1.6.1 on justhost.com. My forum is a private place for my close friends around the US to talk, so I don't want to post the url.

My question is in regards to backing up a forum.
So I noticed in the admin controls you can create a backup and save to my computer. When you need to restore a forum is it because your hosts site crashed or your forum crashed?

Whats the most common reason for the need to restore a forum?

Sorry for the stupid question, but I have been on a free hosted forum for the past 6+ years. I just threw myself into buying web space and installing a forum.

Thanks
The most common reasons are:

-Data loss (Host's problem)
-Huge mistakes
-Hacking

please note that the MyBB backup is only the database and does not backup your files. If you have a control panel from your host, look into the backup solutions there. that is the best protection as it includes your files and all DB info, including DB setup itself
You'd just need to use it whenever you ened to restore it, the same way you take backups of your computer. If you move hosts, your your host's serves explode, you'll need to import a backup to get back to where you were.
I will look into my host back up program.

How often does a host crash?

Thanks
It depends on the webhost. Which one are you using?
I'm using Justhost.
Well it's not like it's something that's planned to happen every 6 months to keep you on your toes Undecided You might go 5 years without any problems, you might have problems 2 weeks after signing up to the host. If you take regular backups and save them to your computer, you'll be fine.
Ok so I did some digging around and found out I can use the Phpmyadmin control panel on my host site to back up my forum. So correct me if I'm wrong, but what I do is export everything from phpmyadmin and then IF the host site crashes I import and everything should work as it did before? There are more details , but thats pretty much how I want to do it?

Sorry for the noob question, but I have no experience with this stuff and wanted to have an idea of what needs to be done before it happens.

thanks
You could do it all from the backup manager if you wanted.
Pages: 1 2