MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Warning: Spammers using "Email User" function
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I noticed before, after receiving a tonne of bounce notices from the server, that a spammer has been using the "Email a user" functionality to send out spam through MyBB to users registered here.

This is a warning - check your mail logs or bounce logs if you have access to them, and if you start receiving lots of bounce notices then check who has been using this functionality.

The user who was doing it here is now banned:
thompson55

I'm also posting the IP address as well as email address of this user so you can attempt to ban it from your forums if you feel like you need to.

Email address: [email protected]
IP address: 196.201.64.212

I'm also up for solutions or ideas on how we can prevent this.

Chris

Woah, i never received anything.
Good catch chrisWink.

regards
force a timeout between each mail going out.....if you prevent anyone sending more than 1 email per 10sec or so, that should take care of most of the scripts....or insert a 'preview' in the mailing-function? "The following email will be sent to xxxxx. Are you sure you want to continue?"
on the bottom of messages and emails. add a report spam to admin link?

that way the user can be banned after an admin has looked over the contents of the message and decided whether it is spam or not...

this could help with controlling unruly and agressive emails and private messages to users.

it could also prevent other people just writing up pm's to get over people in trouble.

ie
someone sends themselves a pm with a name quoted to get them in trouble..

......its happened atleast once before...
Yeah I received that email. It something about West Africa asking for money or whatever. This Thompson guy lacks knowledge.

Zac
im not giving west africa ANY money.

they'll just spend it on drugs and alcohol anyways....

although... i say not to give money to anyone.....