MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: I want to make a game.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Right,

I want to make an FPS game, because i was inspired by Minecraft and it's sales. But tbh i have no experience in that or with Java(and lwjgl and jogl),C,C++,Visual C++ or OpenGL,Direct3D.

There are also many other reasons one of them being a huge loan taken by my Mother for Me and my sister and we will be paying for it for at least 12 more years and i thought...if i could make a game that would sell maybe we can turn this poor life around.

I am well aware it's not that easy and that 'Notch' is smart and has been programming since he was like 8 while i started with PHP at 14 and i still do not understand some stuff.

The problem is...i need guidance. What programming language i use. What graphics API(OpenGL or Direct3D) and the like.

I have thought and have decided to make a First-Person-Shooter game(my favorite genre).

I know from Minecraft that graphics are not the deciding factor, but i am not making a block building game, so here graphics will matter as we are not the 90s

Any help?

EDIT:
Before this i thought of making an archiver for the symbian platform, but i hate the terrible Symbian C++ fork of Visual C++...so hard. And so i gave up. But making a game would be better /me thinks
Please Visit theres sites
UDK - http://www.udk.com/
Unity - http://unity3d.com/

Hi, I understand your problem too well I used to administrate a 3d Game maker which is still in development and we used to get these requests all the time.

UDK is the newer and overall I find the best game engine and level creator, it's also cheaper(free) when porting to apple devices and has a much better graphics engine with stunning visuals on iphone/ipods aswell.

Unity however is easier to learn and unlike UDK which uses it's own language(unreal language) unity uses either c++, c# or java. Both have absolutly huge developer followings and an amazing amount of documentation thats constantly being updated.

First person shooters are best in UDK but your lack of experience and team may force you to go to unity to make your game which requires much less work then UDK. Both have had games placed on the apple market making thoudsands. But by far the best game has come from the UDK kit which was the platform epic games used to make infinity blade

I'm not going to go into too much detail as this is something you should really compare but do check out their communities with the above links, have a chat with some of the members they will be more then willing to help you with your future game.

Thanks for the post.

Just to say. I am planning on making the game for Windows as porting to another OS will simply be hard(i know this way many customers won't buy).

And if anyone is interested in the loan it's 10,520 in USD, but because of the high interest it's 25,668 USD. But i am not American so the sum is higher for us and way harder to gather all the money in one go and just pay it off.

UDK is free, but i read they require one to pay a big fee from the sales, while Unity is paid.
(2011-01-27, 07:19 PM)dikidera Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the post.

Just to say. I am planning on making the game for Windows as porting to another OS will simply be hard(i know this way many customers won't buy).

And if anyone is interested in the loan it's 10,520 in USD, but because of the high interest it's 25,668 USD. But i am not American so the sum is higher for us and way harder to gather all the money in one go and just pay it off.

UDK is free, but i read they require one to pay a big fee from the sales, while Unity is paid.

Couldn't find the price comparison so I will try give a quick guide through their licensing.

UDK

Costs nothing to develop the game.
To release the game it costs $99 up front. They don't take revenue below $5000 but will take 25% after $5000. Which is not too bad for small teams especially as you get all the features for nothing.

Unity
They have a free version which has less features.
Their pro version costs $1500 and gets you free updates but only in the 3x version or 4x when it comes out but not both.

As your not going to develop your game for android or iphone/ipod then unity might be a better choice price wise if you were to manage to sell your game.

The problem is most the money game makers are making these days is from the apple store which can lead to millions of sales. It will be hard to rake in any money on a desktop game as people already have such a huge choice of free to play fps games.
I have no Apple product so even if i wanted, i can't make one.
Actually I believe UDK allows you to develop iphone apps on windows and even run them via it's built in "virtual enviroment" to say.
I am actually looking for something free. By free = i develop = i sell without having to pay myself!
(2011-01-27, 09:07 PM)dikidera Wrote: [ -> ]I am actually looking for something free. By free = i develop = i sell without having to pay myself!
It takes money to make money.
Well it would be a lot harder without the use of game development kits that both companies provide and would require a much larger team to do the work that the kit would have done.

It may or may not be an option for you but start learning with these development kits and create a level or 2 with something fancy that you can show off to try and get some investors that would pay the one time fee.

But as for not paying royalties I don't see unity taking any more then the $1500 for pro version and you can deploy your game to the web for free with the free version. So you might want to use Unity.

(2011-01-27, 09:18 PM)Derek M. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-01-27, 09:07 PM)dikidera Wrote: [ -> ]I am actually looking for something free. By free = i develop = i sell without having to pay myself!
It takes money to make money.
The creator of Minecraft paid nothing and gained millions(so jealous of him). Wink

I have used Unity way before i even thought of making a game...and it was... hard to understand. What were all those options...where do you write the code in the Unity IDE(or whatever it is called)

P.S
I have no money to pay $1500 for the Pro. So if i make it with free..well i can't just release it for free
Pages: 1 2