MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Guest & Bot permissions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Website link: www.runegear.net
MyBB version: 1.61
Test user account: N/A
Issue: There is no issue, I just need to implement guest permissions which allow them to view the forums and the thread titles, but they can not view the threads content. Although, I also want to allow googlebot and the other bots to freely crawl any threads that should be cached (any forums guests weren't allowed to view will still be the same).

I know this has to do with .htaccess and a plug in blocking guest access, but I'm not to sure.
You won't need htaccess, just a plugin to hide the content of the thread from guests. You can allow bots to view the content by putting them in their own group with permissions to view the thread.
(2011-01-28, 12:16 AM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]You won't need htaccess, just a plugin to hide the content of the thread from guests. You can allow bots to view the content by putting them in their own group with permissions to view the thread.

I've already got a plugin for that, how would I go about adding the bots to their own usergroup? I'm considering grabbing their IPs and possibly working from there.
Make a new bot group based on the guests group under Users & Groups and set the permissions the way you want. Next go to

Admincp >> Configuration >> Spiders/Bots

When you edit the bot you'll see an option for which group to use the permissions.
(2011-01-28, 12:32 AM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]Make a new bot group based on the guests group under Users & Groups and set the permissions the way you want. Next go to

Admincp >> Configuration >> Spiders/Bots

When you edit the bot you'll see an option for which group to use the permissions.

Thanks, I've done it. I appreciate it. Smile