MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Rune Gear reached 2,000 members [FULL STORY]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Rune Gear was a forum I began on the 11th of July 2010. It was after a friend requested me as his system administrator even though I had no experience, I actually became very familiar with MyBB and had gained some knowledge in PHP. My partner was very abusive, jealous, egotistic and ungrateful, heck he was immature too.

So, I came up with www.RuneGear.net. I had been a RuneScape player for about 4 years, but I quit early in March of 2010. I knew I had a lot of knowledge and thought I'd take a crack at it. On the first day, we had 200 posts and approximately 25 registrations. In 5 days we had 100 members and 1,500 posts. We began to grow quite slowly, with about 100-250 posts daily.

Then, everything began to crash. We were being DDOSed daily, with botnets of about 4k-10k. I didn't give up, I stayed, everyone expected me to give up. I continued to update the forum. I began designing and designed Rune Gear's theme from scratch.

Rune Gear began to move on, about a month later we have about 4k-5k posts and about 250 members. Then, the DDOS attacks continued. We were continuously attacked for the next 3 months, I had to move the forum to about 6 different webhosts. Then, the hack attempts began. Rune Gear was continuously hacked through a phpMyAdmin exploit. I still continued. At one point, I actually lost the domain. I had to pay $100 to get it back. I did.

I set up Rune Gear, the backup and everything. Opened it up. 1 week later, the DDOS and hack attacks continued. I thought of giving up and almost did, but Labrocca (owner of Hackforums.net) decided to assist me. He told me some things to increase my security. Rune Gear was back on its feet, receiving extra traffic, user participation and more.

3 weeks ago we were hacked once again, and I decided to give Labrocca complete access to Rune Gear, he had found multiple shells and removed them. Ever since then, the attacks on Rune Gear have stopped. We don't get DDOSed frequently. I had once received 1.4k emails in 10 minutes from an ongoing DDOS attack, the firewall had blocked 1.4k separate IPs that were DDOSing us.

Now, Rune Gear is running strong, with about 3 weeks of straight up time. I'm starting to receive 1k-3k unique connections every day, and yesterday we hit an all time record with 15k page views. Rune Gear is growing. Every day we receive 8-10+ registrations, just today we received 24.

I've began generating income from the forum through advertisements, and just today we achieved 2k members. I've stayed strong through the whole 6 months of running Rune Gear and have learned so much. I never gave up and I made it through. I dedicated myself to prove everyone wrong, and I did. Threats, DDOS attacks, hack attempts, nothing stopped me. I continued and will continue.

I would also like to thank the MyBB community for their support. Rolleyes
Wow, nice job man! I quit playing RS (mostly) in March 2010 as well to focus on Runeaid. What a quinky dink. :p

Glad to hear Runegear is going strong. Big Grin
(2011-01-28, 09:36 AM)Derek M. Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, nice job man! I quit playing RS (mostly) in March 2010 as well to focus on Runeaid. What a quinky dink. :p

Glad to hear Runegear is going strong. Big Grin

We seem to have a lot in common. Haha, thanks. Do you still work on Runeaid regularly?
Indeed, and I do. It's pretty much the thing that makes me wake up in the morning and go onto the internet instead of TV. Wink
Congratulations. That is quite the accomplishment.
Thank you very much Tierney, I appreciate it.
Wow! You seem to have really accomplished a lot so far Smile Now you just need to keep it going even more haha
Cool story bro (Literally), I'm glad to hear you never gave up cause hell, I've seen a lot of people in that situation and immediately give up everything they've worked for.

Cheers to you Wink
(2011-01-28, 06:55 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]Wow! You seem to have really accomplished a lot so far Smile Now you just need to keep it going even more haha

Thank you, and I'll be happy to do so. Smile

(2011-01-28, 06:55 PM)Jessie S. Wrote: [ -> ]Cool story bro (Literally), I'm glad to hear you never gave up cause hell, I've seen a lot of people in that situation and immediately give up everything they've worked for.

Cheers to you Wink

Thank you as well, I really appreciate that. Big Grin
Almost sounds like a romance. A geeky romance. Toungue