MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Server dpc1 finally died.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
dpc1 (Dylan's PCs1) formerly dce1 (Dylan Chris & Eric... before I bought out my partners) has finally gone down, possibly for good.

dpc1, a dual 550MHz P-III on an Intel N440BX Server Motherboard with 512MB PC133 SDRAM and an 80GB WD HDD is down from HDD failure.

Over the past 10 years this machine has gone through several upgrades, but had been down a grand total of 16 hours over that 10 years. The longest straight period was a 3 hour drive when I moved. Starting off with just a 20GB HDD and 128MB of PC100 RAM with dual P-III 500MHz CPUs, basically everything has been upgraded.

Serving at first as my home file server, MUD development server, and Linux sandbox, in 2004 with the HDD upgraded to 80GB it became a dedicated file and tftp boot server. Serving my small (4 machine) Folding@Home diskless farm until I lost my job in 2008, at which point I sold the 4 farm machines as spares I could no longer afford. Most recently it has still been a dedicated file server, but while the tftp daemon was still running only rarely while working on a machine that the hdd hadn't arrived for yet did I make use of PXE or Etherboot to access the tftp server for a working OS.

Originally dpc1 was powered by Red Hat Linux 9. This was followed up by Mandrake 10, RHEL 4, RHEL 5, and finally Mandriva Enterprise Server 5.

Sadly, dpc1 wouldn't be cost effective to repair since even 40GB hdds are selling for over $15 on eBay and I need a minimum of 120GB (the 80GB was at 97% capacity when it died), and I'd like at least a 300GB. So, unless someone wants to donate me a HDD to get the beast back operational, I think its time for dpc1 to retire and to build a dpc3 to replace it in the future. Until then, dpc2, my Web, DB, FTP, & SSH server can sub in.

R.I.P dpc1
Dylan if you want to make a nice machine (800ish virtualization machine) I can send you my dads build.

(He is replacing his 8 year old freebsd server with it)
The problem right now is finances. I'm barely working, so I can't fix OR replace dpc1 right now. Smile
(2011-01-28, 09:37 PM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]The problem right now is finances. I'm barely working, so I can't fix OR replace dpc1 right now. Smile

You can do what i did. Buy piece by piece.
(2011-01-28, 09:48 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-01-28, 09:37 PM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]The problem right now is finances. I'm barely working, so I can't fix OR replace dpc1 right now. Smile

You can do what i did. Buy piece by piece.

Nah, I save and buy all at once. I have good money discipline lol.