MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [Open Question] - What permissions do you set for guests?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi All,

If you are a forum administrator, What permissions do you set for guests? Can they:

1) View the global forum (forced login being seeing boards)?
2) View boards (see the name of boards+categories)?
3) View the topic list inside boards (view the names of topics)?
4) View the topic itself (see the content of the topic)?
5) Can they post topics?
6) Can they post replies?

I added a poll Smile

Don't forget to reply why you use those permissions Wink

-Groovy
They can read, most areas. I restrict random areas usually with the most trivial posts just to spark curiousity.
Ahh, Thats a good idea. I hate it that we cannot check how effective a forum decision is, such as how effective the curiousity effect you said is Toungue - I am guessing they cannot post?
I allow them to view my board fully, except the staff-only areas. You know, let them get a feeling of what my board's about. Smile
(2011-02-01, 02:33 AM)groovybluedog Wrote: [ -> ]Ahh, Thats a good idea. I hate it that we cannot check how effective a forum decision is, such as how effective the curiousity effect you said is Toungue - I am guessing they cannot post?

Of course not. Sometimes i'll open a forum for guest posting, if its a general section.
I personally don't like my guests seeing posts (the content) as if someone shares a link or something, bro.ken.ap.art, then the mod for stopping link viewing would fail. I do not like my guests just using my forum for things like downloads, especially as when registering they accept the terms of use ect, as a guest, they do not click "I agree" unless I manually put a disclaimer.
I allow guests to view most sections and read topics, except for those in staff sections obviously, and the announcements & questions section. I assume many people are like me, and go there first to see what's going on.
They cannot reply or use the search function.
Just enough to enjoy as a guest, but make them want to sign up for more imo.
Dangit, I misclicked. I was also going to add (4) as well but didn't notice it wasn't selected until I had already clicked submit.

I let guests view everything. It's not like I have anything to hide, and it frustrates me to no end when I visit a forum that makes me register to see some info (especially when I have little to no intention to return). Not being allowed to view topics as a guest is more likely to drive me away from a site, especially since I can usually find what I want elsewhere without the draconian restrictions.

I don't let them post because I don't like spam.
What do you guys recommend others do, that are reading this thread? (Including myself)
Only view.
Pages: 1 2