MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Plugins - poor instructions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2011-02-01, 11:28 AM)dragonc Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-02-01, 09:48 AM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not really sure how we can force people to write instructions that explain things in a certain way... if there's just one file in the package, it'll most likely go into the ./inc/plugins/ folder; it's a plugin, there's nowhere else it can go. Sometimes people will have an 'inc' folder as the first thing in the plugin package, you upload that to your root folder on your server, and everything will go to where it needs to go. Likewise, if there's an 'admin', 'inc' and maybe 'images' folder as the first things in the plugin package, you upload those 3 folders to your root folder on your server, and everything will go to where it needs to go. Uploading plugins on MyBB is straight forward, just upload files and activate, but we can't do anything about people writing unclear instructions that might confuse people.

Thanks for this. I know its hard to get developers to write proper instructions as they already know exactly what to do.
As for uploading INC folders as you say, I will give it a try, but what about those files already in the existing INC folder? Pardon my ignorance of this, I have no idea, which is why I have to ask.
Thank you Smile

OK, say in my plugin package, after you unzip it, I have an inc folder, then inside that I have a plugins folder, and then in there I have my actual plugin file.

Plugin Zip Package
-- inc
---- plugins
------ myplugin.php

You would then just drag the inc folder from the plugin package into your forum root folder (not into the inc folder itself, otherwise you'd have ./inc/inc/) and then the myplugin.php will end up in the ./inc/plugins/ folder on your server, because the file structure is the same. No other files will be removed unless your FTP client is misconfigured, i.e. uploading an inc folder with just a plugins folder and single plugin file in it won't mean that everything currently in the ./inc/ folder will get deleted. If that does happen, it will be du to a misconfigured setting in your FTP client, it shouldn't do that by default.
(2011-02-01, 11:41 AM)dragonc Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for that Smile Can I clarify? Many of the plugins I've looked have both folders as well as files. So are we saying upload both the folders and files into the plugin directory? This is why I have a lot of questions. Such things are not at all clear in most plugin instructions.

Can you give an example of such a plugin?
(2011-02-01, 07:52 AM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]If you're fining it that difficult, try matt's plugin uploader plugin. It really is extremely simple though compared to other software (like phpBB)

Thank you Smile I will have a look for it.

(2011-02-01, 11:44 AM)Aries-Belgium Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-02-01, 11:41 AM)dragonc Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for that Smile Can I clarify? Many of the plugins I've looked have both folders as well as files. So are we saying upload both the folders and files into the plugin directory? This is why I have a lot of questions. Such things are not at all clear in most plugin instructions.

Pm-spy, master_favourite, to name two

(2011-02-01, 11:43 AM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-02-01, 09:48 AM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not really sure how we can force people to write instructions that explain things in a certain way... if there's just one file in the package, it'll most likely go into the ./inc/plugins/ folder; it's a plugin, there's nowhere else it can go. Sometimes people will have an 'inc' folder as the first thing in the plugin package, you upload that to your root folder on your server, and everything will go to where it needs to go. Likewise, if there's an 'admin', 'inc' and maybe 'images' folder as the first things in the plugin package, you upload those 3 folders to your root folder on your server, and everything will go to where it needs to go. Uploading plugins on MyBB is straight forward, just upload files and activate, but we can't do anything about people writing unclear instructions that might confuse people.

Thanks for this. I know its hard to get developers to write proper instructions as they already know exactly what to do.
As for uploading INC folders as you say, I will give it a try, but what about those files already in the existing INC folder? Pardon my ignorance of this, I have no idea, which is why I have to ask.
Thank you Smile

OK, say in my plugin package, after you unzip it, I have an inc folder, then inside that I have a plugins folder, and then in there I have my actual plugin file.

Plugin Zip Package
-- inc
---- plugins
------ myplugin.php

You would then just drag the inc folder from the plugin package into your forum root folder (not into the inc folder itself, otherwise you'd have ./inc/inc/) and then the myplugin.php will end up in the ./inc/plugins/ folder on your server, because the file structure is the same. No other files will be removed unless your FTP client is misconfigured, i.e. uploading an inc folder with just a plugins folder and single plugin file in it won't mean that everything currently in the ./inc/ folder will get deleted. If that does happen, it will be du to a misconfigured setting in your FTP client, it shouldn't do that by default.

Thanks very helpful. I appreciate it Smile
(2011-02-01, 11:45 AM)dragonc Wrote: [ -> ]Pm-spy, master_favourite, to name two

For Pm-spy. Navigate into the pm-spy folder in the zip and copy the inc/ folder to the MyBB root.
For master_favourite. Copy all the folders and files into the MyBB root. Like MattRogowski said.
Quick video demonstration: http://vimeo.com/19431156 Make sure HD is selected and watch in full screen to see it clearly.

My plugin to upload plugins can be found here: http://mods.mybb.com/view/plugin-uploader
(2011-02-01, 12:19 PM)Aries-Belgium Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-02-01, 11:45 AM)dragonc Wrote: [ -> ]Pm-spy, master_favourite, to name two

For Pm-spy. Navigate into the pm-spy folder in the zip and copy the inc/ folder to the MyBB root.
For master_favourite. Copy all the folders and files into the MyBB root. Like MattRogowski said.

Thank you Smile

(2011-02-01, 12:36 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Quick video demonstration: http://vimeo.com/19431156 Make sure HD is selected and watch in full screen to see it clearly.

My plugin to upload plugins can be found here: http://mods.mybb.com/view/plugin-uploader

Thanks! I will give it a try Smile

(2011-02-01, 11:45 AM)dragonc Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-02-01, 07:52 AM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]If you're fining it that difficult, try matt's plugin uploader plugin. It really is extremely simple though compared to other software (like phpBB)

Thank you Smile

Plugin Zip Package
-- inc
---- plugins
------ myplugin.php

Sorry to be a problem, but surely if I ftp a folder (e.g. a plugin inc folder) into the root, its just going to override the existing inc (or whatever) folder, or am I missing something here? Or am I safer just transferring the files from the plugin inc/whatever folder into the root folder of the same name?

(2011-02-01, 12:36 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Quick video demonstration: http://vimeo.com/19431156 Make sure HD is selected and watch in full screen to see it clearly.

Thanks for this. The video did not seem to have any sound and I did check the sound on my computer (loud LOL).

The plugin uploader didn't work for me as I received a message saying my server doesn't support unzipping files (Nice clear instructions on installing it!). Its my problem and I've ask my support to see what can be done. It would be very useful Smile

(2011-02-01, 01:22 PM)dragonc Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-02-01, 12:19 PM)Aries-Belgium Wrote: [ -> ]

Thank you Smile

Thanks! I will give it a try Smile

(2011-02-01, 11:45 AM)dragonc Wrote: [ -> ]

Thank you Smile

Plugin Zip Package
-- inc
---- plugins
------ myplugin.php

Sorry to be a problem, but surely if I ftp a folder (e.g. a plugin inc folder) into the root, its just going to override the existing inc (or whatever) folder, or am I missing something here? Or am I safer just transferring the files from the plugin inc/whatever folder into the root folder of the same name?

Thanks for this. The video did not seem to have any sound and I did check the sound on my computer (loud LOL).

The plugin uploader didn't work for me as I received a message saying my server doesn't support unzipping files (Nice clear instructions on installing it!). Its my problem and I've ask my support to see what can be done. It would be very useful Smile

Matt, I got my unzip issue fixed and tried the plugin downloader. Many showed an error "Can't find the main plugin file", while many others failed to upload some files, including some php files. I'm taking lessons from whats been said here, and doing some plugin uploads manually - its slow work but so far only one problem.

Thanks to all for your valuable help Smile
Pages: 1 2