MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Parse error while installing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all

I tried to install this 1.6. So I uploaded all the files, changed CHMOD and tried to run the installer:

http://www.tornfraua.li/install/

But I always get this error:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in /home/www/web21/html/tornfraua/inc/class_core.php on line 18

Can you help me with that?
Your host is still running a very old version of PHP, 4.4, and MyBB 1.6 requires PHP 5.1, which should be pretty standard on hosts these days.
(2011-02-02, 02:27 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Your host is still running a very old version of PHP, 4.4, and MyBB 1.6 requires PHP 5.1, which should be pretty standard on hosts these days.

Ok thanks, I see the problem. Any way to avoid that for example with an older MyBB version?
You could always ask your host to upgrade their PHP version. Then you can still run the latest version of MyBB.
You don't want to be installing an older version just because you host has an old version of PHP. Your host should offer you PHP 5.1+, and if they don't, there's hundreds of hosts that do. Think of it like buying a PC with Windows XP instead of Windows 7, it will still work for some things but the newer version is far better.
OK, it seems you've just decided to install SMF instead. If you want to keep using a host running very outdated and most likely insecure versions of software on their servers, then that's up to you, but sooner or later you'll have problems installing new software as people aren't going to support PHP 4 forever. I hope you don't intend to install WordPress, for example, which will soon require PHP 5.2.