MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Math help :S
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2011-02-03, 12:09 AM)Lyndon D. Wrote: [ -> ]Well Alex, think of it this way:

If you have 5 apples, and your friend has 4 apples, how many apples do you have altogether?

xD

I can remember that from grade 1. <3
(2011-02-03, 12:09 AM)Lyndon D. Wrote: [ -> ]Well Alex, think of it this way:

If you have 5 apples, and your friend has 4 apples, how many apples do you have altogether?

xD

I don't like apples >.>
Ok, expand (1+px)^12, showing the first four terms.

So that's:
(12C0) + (12C1* px) + (12C2* (px)^2) + (12C3* (px)^3)
= 1 + (12*px) + (12 * (p^2)(x^2)) + (12*(p^3)(x^3))

Then, the coefficient of x is (-q) and if x^2 is 11q.

Find p and q?

Toungue
What your being asked doesn't make sense but if you're looking for p and q then your doing some graphing, correct?

Now you don't need to actually graph but you need to know the graphing formula.

a(x-p)^2 + q

If you rearrange your formula that you are given in the question (using squares and square roots) then you should get the formula I showed you above where you can pull the p and q from. Remember when you pull something out of brackets it changes it's sign. So in the above example you have a -p so when you pull it out of the brackets it becomes just p.
That's one of the most boring things I find in Maths, simply because there's nothing new.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_theorem

It's very easy but it can get messy and very confusing when n is a big number.

That shows everything you need, formula, Pascal's triangle, how it works, etc.
tl;dr
It is called foiling. There are better methods for higher numbers (ex. Pascal's Triangle), but if you are just learning how to expand two binomials.

Given: (a + b) * (c + d)
It is: a*c + a*d + b*c + b*d

You basically just multiply each term in each set of parentheses by each term in the other and then add them together.

Lets say you have: (X + 8) * ( X - 10 )
You would have: X² + (-)10X + 8X - 80
Which simplifies: X² - 2X -80
Make sense?
I know how to multiply Wink using the "choose" method is far easier.
I use to know this, but i forgot all of it, but i do remember what herm is talking about, by the way if x equals lame that guy is 4 times x, i remember it that way.
Pages: 1 2