MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: how to stimulate members for posting more ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi mybb lovers
i run a mybb board, like many others, and it has more than 10k registered users .I worked damn hard for about two years to have a nice community where the people can discuss about nice things. But i realized there`s only a small part of these registered users who contribute with information and write something for the community. Most of them got registered because they wanted to stop appeared the annoying ads that i put for non-registered on the board. They continue to reading the posts and forums, lurking here and there without any contribution.
My first move was to add a couple of ads for the guests, i thought i can make them to registered themselves and to have some activity on the board and now i deal with non-posting members. The second idea it was to hide the links in every posts and also i use an ad for the hidding text. Unfortunetly i`m not thinking to put one of the forums on the private option because of search engine rankings drop.
How do you deal with these non-posting registered members and how they can be stimulate to contribute at the community ? Let`s share together some useful ideas Toungue
Why dont you display ads on untill they have a certain post count (not a solution but might help a bit)
Give them a reason to post.
What if you sent an email to nonactive members saying that soon you will be purging the database of inactive members. Send it only to people who have been inactive a long time.
Thanks Janota sound like a great idea , plus more revenue for me from advertising. Definetly i will give it a try soon.
@ Aristotle To be honest i guess the problem is that the visitors have many reasons to non-posting. I mean it`s a little difference between non-registered and registered members and this may be one of the reasons.
@ Andrew B. And how can be filter the nonactive members form the others? There is any plugin for this? Thanks.
(2011-02-03, 11:04 AM)blaster123 Wrote: [ -> ]And how can be filter the nonactive members form the others? There is any plugin for this? Thanks.

Do this trick with MyBB built-in feature:
- make a new membergroup called "Loyal" (for example)
- make a new Group Promotions with "Post Count" (example: less than 10 posts)
- move to a new group you've just created
- after task is running, you can get new active member (more than 10 posts).

Now the next step is mass mail your announcement and "Send it only to people who have been inactive a long time." (old member group).

Enjoy Wink
(2011-02-03, 11:04 AM)blaster123 Wrote: [ -> ]@ Andrew B. And how can be filter the nonactive members form the others? There is any plugin for this? Thanks.
Sorry, I don't know of one.
As Aristotle said, give them a reason to post. You have to make them want to post... This can be tricky. I'm unsure how to even explain some strategies. Back when I ran a gaming forum, I attracted members to post and join through contests... That's just one simple idea.
every forum i know of has gone quiet since facebook & tritter came along.. its just how things goes.. if they dont wonna post you cant force them to..
(2011-02-09, 12:43 AM)BaRoN30s Wrote: [ -> ]every forum i know of has gone quiet since facebook & tritter came along.. its just how things goes.. if they dont wonna post you cant force them to..

So would it help to have some kind of facebook and twitter integration. I think I've seen plugins for this.
Pages: 1 2