MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Problems after 'upgrading'...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Welcome everyone,
so today I decided to upgrade my MyBB but... I messed up and reinstalled whole forum instead of upgrade. ;/ But before I even started I downloaded all the files, whole catalog ('forum') to my PC. Now (argh, for few hours) I'm trying to ressurect my forum but nothing works. I was trying to upload all the files back to the FTP server, I was trying change files in newly installed forum but every data doesn't seem to appear.
My forum is working from sth about 2 years and I really want it back (with all the users, topics, posts etc.).
What do I do wrong? Is here still hope? Now I even can't log in to my forum (even on newly created admin account). I have only one backup file, from looong long time ago.
URL: http://lof-soldat.pl/forum
Were you upgrading from 1.4?? If so, that's a big upgrade, and you didn't take a database backup before doing it...?? Undecided I'm afraid you only have yourself to blame for that one. If you don't have a recent backup, ask your host if they have one. If they don't, then you're out of luck.

I don't know how you managed to run the installer anyway. All the upgrade instructions say to go to ./install/upgrade.php. Plus, if you go to ./install/index.php, which is what you did, and you already have a forum installed, it will display a message asking if you mean to go to the upgrader or the installer, and if you still choose to run the installer, it shows a popup message saying that it will reinstall the forum and you'll lose your content, and that it can't be undone. So I'm really not sure how you go to this stage in the first place.
Well... Maybe I'm so scatty or... I don't know. I replaced all the files from 'Upgrade' catalog to my forum's main catalog and then, after CHMODing, ran "/install". I didn't notice anything wrong (nothing like you show above on screenshots) and just went on through all the steps...
So you say that my backup of 'forum' catalog is useless? Where are all the data? :/
These are the warnings you see when you try to run the installation script when you already have a forum:

[Image: mybbinstallwarning1.png]

Big text saying 'MyBB is already installed'. Link to upgrade is first. Under 'Install a new copy of MyBB' it says, in red text, "This option will delete any existing forum you may have set up".

If you still click this option, you're faced with this:

[Image: mybbinstallwarning2.png]

Popup box.

"This will delete your existing forum."

"THIS PROCESS CANNOT BE UNDONE"

If you still re-ran the installer after these warnings, I'm not sure what more we could do.

The data is in the database, that's what the database is for, storing the data. Data is not stored in the files.
I hadn't such a popup box. I don't know why. So the only hope is that my host has backup...
The only way it wouldn't have shown these warnings is if your deleted your ./inc/config.php file, but considering the fact no package, not even the full download, contains a config.php file, it would be unusual if that got deleted. Look in your ./inc/ folder now, is there a file called config.php in there??
Yes, it is and it was there all the time long. But (whata dumb of me) - I opened install.html, not upgrade.html:
Quote:./inc/config.php (you must rename config.default.php to config.php first)
So I replaced this file... That's why I didn't see this popup box. Yeah, I know, I'm idiot. But that's because I don't know MySQL at all and didn't notice anything wrong in replacing such a file. :< Ok, thanks you for trying help, now I just have to wait for my host reply.
Well, I'm not sure how you replaced that file, as it is not included in any download that we provide. Hopefully your host has a backup, but when performing bug upgrades, you should always make sure you've got backups of everything.
I had two files: config.default.php and config.php and just renamed first one (on Total Commander it automatically replaced the second one). Well, now I know that there's something more than just files... Database. :/