MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Stricter Rules for Plugins & Code Modifications
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I propose an update to the rules in the Plugins & Code Modifications section, specifically the Releases board. A significant number of plugins posted "qualify" (in the loosest sense of the word) to be posted, but most of the time there are certain prerequisites that a user must meet to either download the plugin or get support.

From just a few minutes of browsing, we find quite a few such plugins:
  • My Advertisements 1.9 - support is not available unless paid for
    • Violates: #2 (this is where the vague wording of the rules comes into question)
  • MyShoutbox 1.4 - support is not available unless paid for
    • Violates: #2 (see above)
  • Inline Ads for MyBB - requires registration on author's website to download
    • Violates: #4 (not "freely" available nor posted on the MyBB Mods Site)
  • MyBB WYSIWYG Editor 1.0.3 (by MyBBIran.com) - requires registration on author's website to download
    • Violates: #1, #2 (not posted by the original author, as such probably cannot provide quality support)
  • AJAX/RSS News Ticker - not available on the MyBB Mods Site
    • Violates: #4 - (see note)
  • Latest Posts RSS Feed - not available on the MyBB Mods Site
    • Violates: #4 - (see note)
  • Custom Status 1.7 - support is not available unless paid for
    • Violates: #2 (this is where the vague wording of the rules comes into question)

There are undoubtedly more on subsequent pages, but suffice it to say that plugin authors are taking advantage of the Releases forum's traffic and shoddy rule wording to get publicity.

I can understand alternative download locations and separate communities for support (and even selling plugins), but putting fine print on plugins meant for an open-source project and expecting to be listed on that project's site is dastardly.

A preliminary fix would be to tighten up the rules with clear wording. However, in order to maintain the integrity of the community I also propose that the MyBB Mods Site and the Releases forum be merged into one, with the update, changelog, screenshot, download, licensing, etcetera capabilities of the Mod Site and the community factor of the Releases forum. I'd imagine it would not be difficult to meet in the middle, perhaps even auto-making threads in the Releases forum when submitted to the Mod Site (obviously permission to post threads would be retracted).

Please note: please don't take this as a personal attack, especially to the plugin authors linked above. I am simply pointing out inadequacies of the moderation process for plugins and the dual nature of having both the Mods Site and the Releases forum.
To start with a lot of those threads you linked (I didn't check all but the first few I checked) were posted way before the rule about it being freely available on the mods site was made. We currently don't allow any new threads to be created that don't have the mod uploaded on the mods site.

As for the second part of your post about auto-creating release threads, the Mod site is being redone and when done will have that plus much more Wink
*coughs* My plugin is available on MyBB Mods: http://mods.mybb.com/view/fading-postbit-buttons
(2011-02-03, 12:03 AM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]To start with a lot of those threads you linked (I didn't check all but the first few I checked) were posted way before the rule about it being freely available on the mods site was made. We currently don't allow any new threads to be created that don't have the mod uploaded on the mods site.

As for the second part of your post about auto-creating release threads, the Mod site is being redone and when done will have that plus much more Wink

That sounds awesome! Glad to hear improvements are being made.

(2011-02-03, 01:19 AM)darkly Wrote: [ -> ]*coughs* My plugin is available on MyBB Mods: http://mods.mybb.com/view/fading-postbit-buttons

Thanks for the correction; I completely missed that!
Maybe you would want plugin authors to wash your clothes too.

(2011-02-02, 11:10 PM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]From just a few minutes of browsing, we find quite a few such plugins:

Uhm, this isn't a plugin nor a mod. Its just an additional file (with the codebase of a MyBB core file). The file is attached in the thread.

So WHERE should this go?
I _think_ by 'support' we meant that you have to be around to maintain it, not necessarily answer support questions here, I think the wording just needs changing. Basically there were (and still are) problems with people releasing plugins and then disappearing off the face of the earth; the plugins are buggy, and there is nobody there to do anything about it, but people are still using them, and it means more support thread for us and more unnecessary problems for users.

But yes, we know the submitting-to-mods-site-and-and-waiting-for-that-to-be-validate-and-posting-a-release-thread-and-waiting-for-that-to-be-validated method is far from ideal, the new Mods site should streamline this whole thing.
(2011-02-03, 06:44 PM)querschlaeger Wrote: [ -> ]Uhm, this isn't a plugin nor a mod. Its just an additional file (with the codebase of a MyBB core file). The file is attached in the thread.

So WHERE should this go?
you should have installed it on servers of those who are interested.
It doesn't say support must be given here, so I'm not infringing any rules here. If you decide to update the rules, I'll delete my threads and will no longer release plugins here, simple as that. I won't give support here otherwise I'll have two places to look for and I do not want that.
(2011-02-03, 04:33 AM)Nayar Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe you would want plugin authors to wash your clothes too.

Why the pathetic reply....Everyone here is entitled to post their ideas/thoughts/opinions!

Pages: 1 2 3 4