MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Networking Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
ok, I'm wiring up a house for a family friend with Cat5e (Ethernet). Now, he wants to take ethernet from his router to 4 different points in the house (through 4 hardwired lines). However he doesn't want to use all 4 ports on his router.

So is there any way to maybe build a switch into the wall?

I mean, i could do it:
Router -> Desktop Switch -> Each of the four ports to 4 jacks on the wall -? Each to its own terminating jack around the house.

But he doesnt want to have that out on his desk too. He simply wants:
Router -> 1 Port on wall -> 4 terminating points around the house.

So basically, is there any way of doing that? Like a patch panel, that actually acts as a switch? And it must be mountable in the wall, in a dry box Toungue
First off, Cat6e is the newest, better and faster. Go with that if you can.

What I would recommend for you (to be easiest) is just buy a second router (a wired one, not wireless) and stick that somewhere in the house, connect the one ethernet from the main router and then get the 4 out from there.

You can do it without a router through some basic wiring but I would recommend getting a electrician to do that as it can be easy to screw up. My dad is an electrician and has done stuff like that in the past.
I mean, i know you can get rack mount switches, but is it really easiest to just use a switch? Basically, he has a homehub (damn things) and it only has one ethernet port. So, instead of buying a new router (to serve the 4 jacks beside the router) i was gonna use the one port, and put it into some kind of wall mountable switch. so one cable in, 4 ports out (at the back). Then i would just run them through the walls/under floor to the wall jacks and terminate them.
You know, you really shouldn't be offering your services to people like this if you have to come ask other people how to do it...
No its always great to bounce your ideas off of someone.

Best bet is a switch, and just make a nice little box.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/41...s-_-411472

Four ports right there.
Like I said, you can wire it in but it will be way easier just to put a switch on it.
Use a switch, and BT sucks Toungue

(2011-02-05, 07:22 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]You know, you really shouldn't be offering your services to people like this if you have to come ask other people how to do it...

Disagree. It's things like helping people out with little jobs like this where you gain knowledge and apply it, and learn from mistakes. From what I know Tommy is in college, so helping people with networking, etc is where he can learn and improve his skills for the future. Plus, it's not like he's actually hired by the guy and getting paid a large salary for it, he's just probably doing a favour.
(2011-02-05, 07:50 PM)Lithium Wrote: [ -> ]Plus, it's not like he's actually hired by the guy and getting paid a large salary for it, he's just probably doing a favour.

This Toungue I was just wondering if there is a switch equivalent of a patch panel. If you type in wall mountable switch you just get rack mountables Confused
(2011-02-05, 07:50 PM)Lithium Wrote: [ -> ]Disagree. It's things like helping people out with little jobs like this where you gain knowledge and apply it, and learn from mistakes. From what I know Tommy is in college, so helping people with networking, etc is where he can learn and improve his skills for the future.

Not going to argue with you;

Quote:Plus, it's not like he's actually hired by the guy and getting paid a large salary for it, he's just probably doing a favour.

I was under the impression he was getting paid for this (amount not relevant)? I'm simply saying that it's generally not a grand idea to take on jobs which require you to ask other people how to do it.
I know how to do it exactly. Im asking if there are any techniques used by and techies on here for integrating switches into a wall, as I have yet to come by one Toungue

Anyway, I think im gonna go:

New router (with 4 ports) -> 6 port patch panel (2 blanks) -> wired to each jack.

Next question, where (in the UK) is a good place to get cat5e (or cat6 if its reasonable) from? My current supply is £0.36/meter. How does that stack up against others? Also, if you know of a good company/manufacturer - do they supply different colors? When i make custom length patch and crossover cables, i like them to be separate colors Toungue
Pages: 1 2 3 4