MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Stop mass email spam
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

For the last three days i received these strange messages from my host who inform me about an mass email :
Quote: Subject: Warning: 605 emails have been sent yesterday by X Today at 07:19
There have been 605 outgonig emails yesterday from the X User account.
There could be a spammer, the account could be compromised, or just sending more emails than usual.
This warning was generated because the 200 email threshold was passed.

Personaly i wasnt sent any mass email by myself and im wandering if my board got compromised. I look up in the Logs section , i saw the System Email Log with the messages : MyBB was unable to send the email using the PHP mail() function. I attached also a picture.[attachment=21512]
Can you tell me please how can be stopped these spam emails before the hosting company shot me down ?Undecided

PS: I run the latest version of mybb
If it's showing those errors in the logs it's not sending the emails anyway... how much activity does your forum get?? Without knowing what the emails are actually for, there's not much we can do about it...
Thanks for reply Matt
Actually the board it`s not a big one , it has about 5 k members with about 30 daily posts.
Indeed, i saw the System Email Log errors but i guess the emails were sent otherwise i would not received the warning from the host. I checked out and i do not have any subscribe email plugin that can be exploited , also i do not collect in any ways any email addresses.
What i had done now it was to deactivate the Mass Mail option from task manager. Also i was thinking about Send to a friend option , maybe it was exploited as long as don`t have any captcha ?

The Mass mail task won't be anything to do with it, that's only for mass mails that you've created in the ACP. These emails will just be system emails; forum/thread subscriptions, send thread to friend, registration, lost password, PM notifications... guests can't use the send threads to a friend feature so it won't be that.
(2011-02-05, 11:14 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]The Mass mail task won't be anything to do with it, that's only for mass mails that you've created in the ACP. These emails will just be system emails; forum/thread subscriptions, send thread to friend, registration, lost password, PM notifications... guests can't use the send threads to a friend feature so it won't be that.

After couple of days of reading,re-reading and testing i finally fix it. Many thanks Matt , it was one of your suggestion, im talking about send thread to friend. I deactivate this option yesterday and i didnt received any message from my host anymore.
Thread can be change to Solved , thanks again Smile
How can you disable it?
(2014-04-11, 07:02 AM)maxforummfv Wrote: [ -> ]How can you disable it?

User Groups > Groups > Choose the group you want > Miscellaneous Tab > Miscellaneous > Can send threads to friends and email users? > Save.