MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: SMTP email confusion ...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

I've MyBB installed on a server which uses SMTP mail facilities. When I register as a member of the forum I don't receive an email confirmation, where as I've had emails etc. working on another server so I know this is a server thing (not MyBB, which I think is suberb) But how do I set up MyBB to work with SMTP email? Does this require authentication? I've got the SMTP server address and the port no. Any help here would be gratefully received!

Rob
As far as I know, MyBB is not set up to use SMTP for sending mails. It uses the php mail() function. This *should* work on any server with PHP installed and if it's not working, you need to contact your webhost and ask them why you are unable to send mail via PHP.
php mail() uses smtp to send messages in case you were using windows.
for that reason, you should edit php.ini, and change the smtp string and smtp port.

Also there is the sendmail_path string
whichis the path of the mail program, usually /usr/sbin/sendmail or /usr/lib/sendmail. somethimes this path isnt set correctly ,so the user should modify it.

regards

Quote:php mail() uses smtp to send messages in case you were using windows.
for that reason, you should edit php.ini, and change the smtp string and smtp port.

Also there is the sendmail_path string
which is the path of the mail program, usually /usr/sbin/sendmail or /usr/lib/sendmail. somethimes this path isnt set correctly ,so the user should modify it.

How can I change any of these things? I can't get access to the php.ini on the server so what would one do in this situation? I should add that the server is a windows server and I do know the smtp string and the port and it does not (according to the hosts) require authentication, so where do I edit MyBB to use these values?
mybb will used what is configured in you php, if you dont have permissions to edit php.ini you will need to ask who administrate you host

regards
Thanks for your reply. This is what I thought would be the case. I used PHPINFO to have a look at their current settings and this is what I found:

Quote:sendmail_from [email protected] [email protected]
sendmail_path no value no value
serialize_precision 100 100
short_open_tag On On
SMTP svwsmtp.****.net.uk svwsmtp.****.net.uk
smtp_port 25 25

From your previous post you suggest that the sendmail_path should be set but here it states no value!! And what about the me@localhost, should that be set to something othere than that? This host is driving me crazy!! I've been in touch with them several times but all they say is they've tested it and it works so it must be my code! Yea right, my code AND MyBB's!! Where do I go from here?

zaher1988 Wrote:mybb will used what is configured in you php, if you dont have permissions to edit php.ini you will need to ask who administrate you host

regards
yeah send mail path is usually something like /usr/sbin/sendmail it depends on you server, where do u store the mail software ? use its path, however i guess the default is always the path above.

about the email, well you may set this to you own local email e.g. [email protected]

The send mail path does not need to be set if you are using SMTP to deliver your mail..
Confused! So the sendmail path does not need to be set if SMTP is used!? Let me just ask this; is there anything I need to do to get this working? Currently I'm using the PHP mail() function that's all. I've not set paths, ports, servers or anything. I've never had to before, but I've never used a windows server before. Please help me clarify whether I need to be doing something or whether the host does. Don't forget neither my scripts nor MyBB will send mail!
tmhai Wrote:If you have an SMTP server configured, and all mail needs to be authenticated, MyBB will send mail via the php mail() feature, but the server will just bounce it back; in other words the email will not be sent. This is configured by your hosting provider, you cannot do anything but ask them to remove authentication (they probably use authentication to banish spam from their servers).

I asked chris if he could implement this feature a real long time ago, as my hosting provider only sent authenticated mail. I dont know the status of this feature as I moved providers now... DennisTT tried to help me with this and I was to pay him when he found a solution, but a phpBB file aint work with a MyBB file.

Thanks for that, I have found out that the mail does not need to be authenticated! How does that change things?