MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Lightweight linux
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I will fire up a VM with a single 1.5GHz CPU (I will clock it down to 600MHz) and 128MB or RAM and see what I can use. Smile
(2011-02-11, 04:09 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Not helpful. Spambot. 256mb is easily enough for some small linux distros.

WELL ... no good deed goes unflamed.

Assuming incorrectly that a first post is SPAM is just plain stupid ==> MORON.

An OLD CPU and 256MB has ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE of running ANY modern Desktop and Browser and providing anything close to a good experience. If you want to PO the client, go ahead and do it.

I wasted enuf time here ...
(2011-02-12, 04:20 AM)fhj52 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-02-11, 04:09 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Not helpful. Spambot. 256mb is easily enough for some small linux distros.

An OLD CPU and 256MB has ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE of running ANY modern Desktop and Browser and providing anything close to a good experience. If you want to PO the client, go ahead and do it.

What mature, quality posts you've made. While I agree with Tom your first post on this site did look like spam because it was completely irrelevant, I feel that this post is the one that will earn you the reputation you most likely deserve. Congrats on ruining this thread. Sad
I would like to add that it's a shame too because based on your online history you appear to be either knowledgable, experienced, or both in terms of Linux which makes me wonder why you would recommend turning a person's PC into a firewall which is not capable of browsing the internet which is the person's only request... weird.
Oh, and one last thing unrelated to my last 2 posts, Chakra is no longer Arch Linux based, they recently turned it into a completely new distro based on KDE but heavily influenced by Arch Linux. Sad I'll still be taking a look at it though. Smile
(2011-02-12, 04:20 AM)fhj52 Wrote: [ -> ]An OLD CPU and 256MB has ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE of running ANY modern Desktop and Browser and providing anything close to a good experience. If you want to PO the client, go ahead and do it.

I'm curious why you keep insisting on this despite others saying they have, and (like me) are currently doing exactly that. Sure, Flash doesn't work very well, but everything else we do online with that computer runs just fine. No slow downs (except when I do my bad habit of opening 20+ tabs in FF...), no large amount of swap usage, nothing bad at all. So, why don't you take a deep breath, calm down, and try again more politely.
(2011-02-12, 04:20 AM)fhj52 Wrote: [ -> ]

I shouldn't mention that i have Ubuntu with Gnome running on a P3 with 128 of ram should i then?
(2011-02-12, 04:20 AM)fhj52 Wrote: [ -> ]An OLD CPU and 256MB has ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE of running ANY modern Desktop and Browser and providing anything close to a good experience. If you want to PO the client, go ahead and do it.

By "modern Desktop and Browser" i assume you mean Windows... As pretty much every flavor of linux available and every mainstream browser ontop of it (except IE) can run on 256mb ram with a little tweaking.
(2011-02-12, 09:16 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]

By "modern Desktop and Browser" i assume you mean Windows... As pretty much every flavor of linux available and every mainstream browser ontop of it (except IE) can run on 256mb ram with a little tweaking.

I just installed midori, none needed.
iirc Lennart had Win7 running on <1GB ram.
I have a Windows XP VM with 512MB of RAM and a single core 1.5GHz that I use in Fedora on a daily basis (my netbook only has 1GB of RAM and I dual-boot to Windows 7 without issue).

I have also run multiple instances of Windows Server 2008 (SP2 32bit and R2 64bit) with only 384MB of RAM and a single core 2.2GHz and the only issue I had with it was that 15GB of Disk Space wasn't enough for IIS7 and SQL Server Express.
(2011-02-12, 10:22 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]iirc Lennart had Win7 running on <1GB ram.

I had it running on a 1GHz Athlon and 256MB of RAM. But so what? Big Grin
It ran like crap, but since Linux has a tiny memory footprint compared to Winbloat, it shouldn't be an issue.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6