MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Free hosting?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I run game servers, and I'm looking for a web server with decent upload speeds and bandwidth. Or should I just use my VPS that hosts the games as the fast download too?
I have run game servers also, I suggest you use your vps unless you expect a large amount of activity on your website.
Most free hosts will close your account if you're just using it to host files for a game server. It's very obvious when free web hosting clients do this because the bandwidth usage is higher than the clients think it is. I have created scripts that scan for this also because it's a popular method among the Counter Strike community and some of those files are upwards of 20-50MB which eats bandwidth when you have a 24 slot server.

That being said, I've never seen a Game Server Host that limits bandwidth so if you got it, use it. Wink
You should consider paid hosting, yes you are "paying" for (to be expected) good service.
Avoid unlimited gimmicks (Unlimited bandwidth + disk quota), $0.99, etc.

If it seems too good to be true, avoid it.
Even the majority of paid hosting companies will not allow you to use their plan for just file hosting.
(2011-02-12, 04:13 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]Most free hosts will close your account if you're just using it to host files for a game server. It's very obvious when free web hosting clients do this because the bandwidth usage is higher than the clients think it is. I have created scripts that scan for this also because it's a popular method among the Counter Strike community and some of those files are upwards of 20-50MB which eats bandwidth when you have a 24 slot server.

That being said, I've never seen a Game Server Host that limits bandwidth so if you got it, use it. Wink

This + your later post I'm responding to here, by the way

I could also move my forums there. And it's a Zombie Escape server, which means huge maps, and it's a 50 slot server. That's going to eat my bandwidth when you combine the server + the website + the FastDownload server all on the same 300GB/month bandwidth VPS. I'll probably need to buy more. At least Linode is nice about it.
I would even suggest looking for a CDN just for the FastDownload, it might be cheaper.