MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: >Comments are closed on this thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
http://community.mybb.com/thread-74199.html

Erm, I'm curious - why is this rule in place? Why do the authors get to deny comments on their thread?

I mean, why bother posting your thread in the showcase if you don't want feedback? Doesn't really make a whole lot of sense, and you're not going to get anything useful out of it imo (other than free promotion with no criticism).

I'm just curious as to what the logic is behind this. Shouldn't those threads just be locked to ensure no one replies? I can honestly only foresee this becoming a trend and the showcase becoming clogged with people bumping their reply-less threads even though nobody is allowed to reply.

I dunno if this has been here since forever, but I'd just like some clarification on the logic behind it. Threads with replies can be bumped and unlocked, people who don't want feedback should be able to post their thread and have it locked imo.
Its more a R/S/J one. where you don't want posts or PMs. Maybe it was a template for showcase?
The idea behind it was so that those who are not open to feedback and just want people to see their site had the option to do this. We are also happy to close threads for people who don't wish to receive comments, they just have to report it.

Unfortunately in reality people are generally reluctant to admit they are not open to feedback and also most people don't want to pass up replies as an opportunity for their thread to be bumped.
I seriously don't get this rule. If you don't want comments, then you shouldn't even be making a thread at all.

By posting a thread in showcase, you will inevitably get comments as it's the whole point of the showcase forum.
Gaining feedback is not the only purpose of that forum (though in my opinion it is the most important).
(2010-07-25, 01:02 AM)Tim B. Wrote: [ -> ]This forum has three aims:
  • To show off the potential of MyBB
  • To allow MyBB users to promote their sites
  • To allow MyBB users to gain feedback on their forum
If Showcase is just going to be a forum where people can post a link to their sites, then maybe it should just be a link directory Smile
(2011-02-13, 03:19 PM)Shukaku Wrote: [ -> ]If Showcase is just going to be a forum where people can post a link to their sites, then maybe it should just be a link directory Smile

Is it a just place where people can post links to their websites? It's not. You can post there and receive critics. Thus it cannot be considered a link directory.
No, but with the Comments are closed on this thread rule, everyone's going to use it in their showcase threads, hence it'll become just a link directory with no comments.
(2011-02-13, 07:04 PM)Shukaku Wrote: [ -> ]No, but with the Comments are closed on this thread rule, everyone's going to use it in their showcase threads, hence it'll become just a link directory with no comments.

Just because that's what you'd do, it doesn't mean everyone else would. You can't speak for other people if they haven't told you that.

Just go to the Showcase forum:
http://community.mybb.com/forum-137.html

You'll see that most of them are open to criticism.
(2011-02-13, 07:04 PM)Shukaku Wrote: [ -> ]No, but with the Comments are closed on this thread rule, everyone's going to use it in their showcase threads, hence it'll become just a link directory with no comments.

Not really, seeing as these rules have been in place for almost 7 months and not many people make a thread that's closed for comments (from what I've seen).
Pages: 1 2 3