MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Server load.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello. I have noticed that my forum's server load is, usually, greater than 1 (around 1.8 and even 2.5). I've read that 1 is the recommended value.

Are there any tips for MyBB forums to reduce that value?
Using a free host? How many plugins?
Are you on shared hosting? If so, there is no way to reduce this, as the server load is calculated from the server's total load, which is shared by other users.

However, if you're on your own server, such as a VPS or dedicated server, you can start by reducing the amount of plugins you're using. Shoutboxes tend to create the majority of high loads.
Btw, 2.5 is fine on a shared host. My forums were always around 6.x when it was using shared hosting, it will still run fine.
Load of 1 relates to the full usage of a single CPU core. So if you run a quad core then a load of 4 is 100% CPU. A shared host might run it's server with dual-quad cores so a load of 2.5 is nothing.
How can you check the load of your site?
It says it in the debug stats in the footer of your forum.

As mentioned above, you can usually ignore the server load on a shared host as it's the load caused by every site on the server, of which there could be many. Unless your site is slow and the number seems high, it should be fine. The highest I've seen somebody report is 20 something which just seems absurd, must have been a miscalculation.
yes, on shared host ignore the load.
except for VPS or dedicated server
(2011-02-13, 10:47 AM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]you can usually ignore the server load on a shared host as it's the load caused by every site on the server
Phew! Thank God. I was beginning to worry.
I only run a few plugins and don't think I've ever seen my server load drop below 7 or 8.

(2011-02-13, 10:47 AM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]The highest I've seen somebody report is 20 something which just seems absurd, must have been a miscalculation.
Well, I'm sharing a server on Bluehost. I have literally seen my server load hit over 30. Just now, it was at about 26.73, and appeared to be running just fine.

I have never had the server flip out on me or act slowly because of this load, so I'm sure a major host company like Bluehost has some excellent processors. Still, I seldom have more than a half dozen viewers on the site at any time, and the server load number usually scares me. I thought I should check to see if other users were having this issue and I'm glad I hopefully don't have to worry.

Edit: guess I spoke too quickly. 56.77 currently. Ouch!
I've seen loads of 300 and my server was still serving. Smile
Pages: 1 2