MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Merging Threads.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(it could be that this is posted in the wrong place)

When you merge two threads together, which had posts during the same period of time, the posts are mixed in each other. If you look at http://community.mybboard.net/showthread...32&page=13 and the following page in that thread, you'll see that there were a couplo of posts from another thread merged into that one. But it's confusing to read them because they are sorted on time and thus mixed through each other.
I think that if you merge threads, the posts from the other thread should be together. So like you should not be sorting on the post's date, but on the date it was merged.
could you please specify what posts were merged in the wrong place, it is a long listToungue.

umm what if it was a moderator mistake?

zaher1988 Wrote:could you please specify what posts were merged in the wrong place, it is a long listToungue.

umm what if it was a moderator mistake?
You can read which posts by looking at their titles. And I don't think it's a mistake from the moderator, I think it's just a limitation.

Posts: 127,128,130, 132, 133, 134 and 135 are from an other thread merged into the original one. The posts between (129, 131) them are from the original thread. They shouldn't be between them.
Well as you see, post 129 was posted earlier than 130 . so for sure it will be displayed before even if it was originaly posted somewhere elseSmile

regards
vBulletin and IPB do this as well. It's just the way the merge function works. But yeah, I also agree that it would be nice to simply tack one thread onto the end of another as a way of merging them. Perhaps MyBB would care to be the first to offer this ability as a choice to mods? Smile
I agree with Galen. Its kinda wierd the way it is right now. I don't like jumbling up posts with others when merging two threads
well then keep then 2 threads and dont merge them :/. if they will look in an independent series in that new thread.

Why we merge threads? isn't because they are alike?
Right. But say you start a thread for your mods, and a thread for a specific mod, and later you want to merge them. But after you merge them, you find they are jumbled up among other posts, and you thought that it would just be added to the end of the thread.

Anyway, I think this should be considered more of a suggestion, rather than a bug. Should I move?
Yes, move it. I suggest giving mods the choice in the same way they have a choice when moving (to move, to copy, to move and leave redirect). They could have the options "Integrate posts by timestamp" and "Append to the end of the target thread."
I am trying to move some of my threads into one thread under a sub forum, I keep getting error message: The URL for the thread to be merged seems to be invalid or empty. Please copy the exact URL into the textbox.
Please go back and try again.

I have the complete URL

I am trying to merge thread: http://mypricesavings.com/forums/Thread-...-8-09-8-15

Into thread: http://mypricesavings.com/forums/Thread-...l-Matchups

Please help I have many threads I would like to do this with.
Pages: 1 2