MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Backup FAQs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello. Well recently, somebody hacked my WP siteAngry but there was not any major loss.

But it kinda made me paranoid and made me thought what if my forums are next...Undecided

So I have some questions.

Q1)Does the Backup in the ACP store everything from, the forum sections to the uploaded member avatars? Basically I'm asking which things does it save which things it doesn't.

Q2)Should I make a backup via phpadmin? Or is the ACP backup enough?

Q3) If for say I want to restore my backup, how can I do it? Meaning I should first install a fresh myBB download and then restore my database via phpadmin by importing it? Or is there any other way? Also should the fresh myBB install have the same database password?

Any help would be highly appreciatedSmile
1. It's a database backup so it backs up the database. Uploaded avatars are in the file system.

2. Seeing as they back up exactly the same thing it doesn't really matter.

3. You can either install a forum fresh, drop the new tables made by the installer and import your backup, or just import the backup, upload the files, and edit ./inc/config.php to point to the new database. Doesn't matter if the password is different as you can just correct it in config.php
Thank you so much for answering. I understood everything besides the second part of my last question. Import meaning from phpmyadmin?
Yes, you'd import the backup on phpMyAdmin, when you browse a table in phpMyAdmin there's a link at the top to import a backup.
Thank you so muchSmile