MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Some questions..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was woundering what do you have to do before you make a fourm?
I haven't made a fourm before so it mit be hard so I need all the help I can get Wink
Firstly, you need a host with PHP and MySQL support.

Download the MyBB 1.1.2 package from the website, located here.

Extract the files from the zip file and open Documentation/install.html in your Internet Browser.
Umm how do you get a host with PHP and MySQL am new to making a fourm I no how to use them but make one is a different story.

So yea post here all the stuff I need to make a fourm! Wink
There's an installation instruction in the docs folder in the package you downloaded.
Okay this is another stupied question when does the domain name come into play? am good at working at fourms but like I said am not good at making them since know one is telling me how Sad so yea I mit need lots of help!
Nov Wrote:since know one is telling me how

Michael83 Wrote:There's an installation instruction in the docs folder in the package you downloaded.
The installation instructions tell you how. Smile
The domain name you buy (www.yoursite.com) is used for your hosting account so that people can access your site (and forum) via a domain.
but a domain-name is not a must....I have a few webapps, some forumsoftware as well installed on my homecomputer which has an IP from my provider and I am not allowed to register that, therefore I just install everything with using the IP-address there.....so technically a domain-name is not a must, but if you're planning to have a public forum, I would strongly recommend to get one as nobody can be arsed to remember IP-addresses...domainnames are much easier (this goes for those dyn-ip redirect services as well)
For most people who want to build any kind of website, the way they go about it is this:

1. Domain name. You can google for "domain registrar" and your country to get a list of companies that sell domain names. (In the US I use godaddy.com, but there are a lot that sell them.)

2. Hosting. This is the biggest part in my opinion. This is where your site lives and breathes. You want a host that offers 'shared hosting.' Most shared hosting will have plans that offer what you need for mybb, wordpress, drupal, etc. (mainly a mysql database and the programs to run php.) Finding a good host is a bit daunting. Google around for forums that have people recommending good hosts. They're out there. Ask people. Since you're just starting out, you don't need an expensive plan.

Now, one and two go together. You'll need both since your new webhost will give you some information that your domain name registrar will need. (It's called a DNS name - or something like that.) Don't worry too much about that now, your host will give you details onwhat to do with it.

Once you have a host and domain name, you'll need to get your files uploaded. For that, an FTP program is handy. google for ftp (or use a site like tucoms.com.) I use filezilla.

Once that's all in place, go to your new software (mybb, etc.) and follow the directions.

then the fun really begins!
Quote:but a domain-name is not a must....I have a few webapps, some forumsoftware as well installed on my homecomputer which has an IP from my provider and I am not allowed to register that, therefore I just install everything with using the IP-address there.....so technically a domain-name is not a must, but if you're planning to have a public forum, I would strongly recommend to get one as nobody can be arsed to remember IP-addresses...domainnames are much easier (this goes for those dyn-ip redirect services as well)

Not every one has a real IP where people can put it in their browser's address field, and then visit the site hosted on the computer.

regards
Pages: 1 2