MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: changing hosts need help ASAP!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So i have to change hosts and my old host expires in about 30 minutes i backed up everything MANUALLY that was in the ftp. do i just upload everything that was in the old ftp to the new ftp and that would work fine? Or should i just upload a new mybb to the new ftp than upload the backup to the new forum... Or... i need help badly please help asap thank you very much!
Don't forget the database!

This thread will point you in the right direction:
http://community.mybb.com/thread-27771.html
Thanks for you help but i already found that thread but i just dont understand it at all :/
What exactly is it that you do not understand? Its very simple and in steps, if you can tell us what you are having a problem understanding
Go to your forums ACP, download a backup (this will be the database), then backup the files in FTP. Upload them to your new webhost & then correct any database, or general settings should they conflict. If you're on a subdomain, (you.yourhost.com) on both hosts then you'll need to update that in inc/settings.php Also, you may need to update your database details if you have a new cpanel username, do that in inc/config.php.

Your forum should then work completely fine. So, update the ACP Information to match what you changed in inc/settings.php and inc/config.php. After that you're good to go iirc.

Any questions?? Smile
you made more since than anyone else that ive talked to so basically i just upload everything to the new ftp and if something doesn't work than i need to figure out what it is and change orange?
Awesome. ^_^

And, I'm assuming you have Cpanel as well? If not, you'll need a way to upload your database. I've only ever used Cpanel, so I'm not much help unless you have Directadmin instead. What host are you using? Because you need a way to import the database backup. Otherwise, you're correct.
Well the host i have now is godaddy but that will be expired today sometime and am switching to a local hosting company,which is http://www.onlinenw.com/. My brother is the admin of the company so im getting it free Smile And i dont really know if i have cpanel or admindirect lol. im pretty sure i dont have either :/
(2011-02-17, 08:45 AM)360Gaming Wrote: [ -> ]Well the host i have now is godaddy but that will be expired today sometime and am switching to a local hosting company,which is http://www.onlinenw.com/. My brother is the admin of the company so im getting it free Smile And i dont really know if i have cpanel or admindirect lol. im pretty sure i dont have either :/
Eeew, Godaddy is not a good webhost. And, I'm not sure about onlinenw.com if they don't have Cpanel/Directadmin. I can't really help if they don't. Sad

If you like I can offer you some free cpanel hosting I have on a reseller. Or, if you want you can use an official hosting company, which I highly recommend - as I'm busy and can't give support all the time. Toungue

www.host4post.com
www.mybbwebhost.com
www.polar-host.com
www.tikolah.com

These are my personal favorites tbh. If you want my free hosting (with cpanel! And I'll help you transfer, though any host will, unless they fail Toungue.) just drop me a PM.
ok one more thing why do i need cpanel i didnt need it to get my forum up the first time?
Pages: 1 2