MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: SO MANY BOTS!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm getting registrations from bots around the globe, recaptcha isn't helping one bit, how can I prevent this? I am also still having trouble with the whole email activation thing, so after this is done, I'm going to put it on instant activation.
Have you tried Registration Security Question plugin by - G33K -?
(2011-02-19, 10:08 PM)KittenCollision Wrote: [ -> ]I'm getting registrations from bots around the globe, recaptcha isn't helping one bit, how can I prevent this? I am also still having trouble with the whole email activation thing, so after this is done, I'm going to put it on instant activation.

Bots are going to register regardless of any CAPTCHAs or systems in place. You can make it harder, but some bots will always slip through. Check out Tim's Stopforumspam.com plugin.

What problems are you having with e-mail activation? Putting your forum on instant activation will really hurt you. Most of the time bots can only register and have no e-mail capabilities. You'll just end up helping them.
(2011-02-19, 10:14 PM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-02-19, 10:08 PM)KittenCollision Wrote: [ -> ]I'm getting registrations from bots around the globe, recaptcha isn't helping one bit, how can I prevent this? I am also still having trouble with the whole email activation thing, so after this is done, I'm going to put it on instant activation.

Bots are going to register regardless of any CAPTCHAs or systems in place. You can make it harder, but some bots will always slip through. Check out Tim's Stopforumspam.com plugin.

What problems are you having with e-mail activation? Putting your forum on instant activation will really hurt you. Most of the time bots can only register and have no e-mail capabilities. You'll just end up helping them.

simply put, as I have said in another freaking thread, it won't send the activation emails. flat out. no email activations being sent out, yes, the script works, yes, everything should work but it doesn't...also I shall try working on getting a plugin
Well then you should change hosts.
(2011-02-19, 11:03 PM)KittenCollision Wrote: [ -> ]simply put, as I have said in another freaking thread, it won't send the activation emails. flat out. no email activations being sent out, yes, the script works, yes, everything should work but it doesn't...also I shall try working on getting a plugin

First, calm down.

Are other PHP scripts able to send e-mail from your server?
Is the language really necessary?? No. Watch what you post, thanks.
neither of those plugins would install...
(2011-02-19, 11:35 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Is the language really necessary?? No. Watch what you post, thanks.

sorry, irritated at this whole situation of having to delete so many users...won't happen again
(2011-02-19, 11:12 PM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-02-19, 11:03 PM)KittenCollision Wrote: [ -> ]simply put, as I have said in another freaking thread, it won't send the activation emails. flat out. no email activations being sent out, yes, the script works, yes, everything should work but it doesn't...also I shall try working on getting a plugin

First, calm down.

Are other PHP scripts able to send e-mail from your server?

send me to a slew of PHP scripts sending emails, but the one from the wiki works just fine.
no ideas?
Have you checked "Mail Settings" (ACP -> Settings) and made sure everything is set up correctly?
(2011-02-20, 01:12 AM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]Have you checked "Mail Settings" (ACP -> Settings) and made sure everything is set up correctly?

"Correctly" is a relative term, but here's how it's set up:

Mail SettingsMail handler
PHP

Additional Parameters for PHP's mail()

Mail Logging
Log Everything

Add message ID in mail headers
Yes
Pages: 1 2