MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Difference between MYBB and phpbb/SMF
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote:One of the glaring differences i am seing especially recently is with the mod/plugin authors. At MYBB you have more now who feel the need to charge/be paid where as at phpbb/SMF nearly all still remain free. It is my belief as well that this wanting to charge be it 5 bucks or whatever is hurting MYBB in the long run. This is made even worse because of the lack of plugin/mod developers there and i highly suspect why a few are now charging for stuff found at most other places for free.

I love mybb but this crap of charging for stuff ( found on most other free systems for free ) simply because MYBB lacks plugin developers is just sickening. It really does MYBB a disservice and worst yet the chargers have no clue at all as to how and why doing this sort of thing hurts the project in the long run. It is the ultimate smack in the face for what is supposed to be a open source program. It is not a matter of being cheap as a few try and suggest but a matter of principle and the effects it has on the project as a whole. Naturally ofcourse the people who run mybb and the ones charging dont see it that way despite the endless topics and discussions about this from a ton of others here and elsewhere. Heck i just got told on mybb by one of these guys charging that they do to to pay for thier freaking hosting. What happend to asking for donations? That Star Trek guide forum ( they do phpbb mods etc ) certainly has had no problems raising donations by the looks of it with how large that site is and there is plenty of others.

Sorry but this is a huge con with using MYBB and a clear cut advantage to PHPBB/SMF. Paid plugins honestly have no business being on a free and open source script/program. It defeats the whole purpose of opensource. And sorry but if i am gonna have to pay for a feature i need i will just go to the professionals like IPB/vB as i have done. To pay someone who is only in it for the money and not the benifit of the software i refuse to do and wont. They want money to keep thier sites up etc then i suggest doing like most others have and ask for donations. if they are doing this to earn a living from home then i suggest start doing skins/themes or find some other line of work that will pay the bills. To try and guilt me or anyone else into paying or calling us cheap because we disagree and mention this is not gonna change our opinions and only shows how little and small minded you are and thus i suggest saving such comments. Sorry but your work is not worth it when it can be found elsewhere for free or included and again if i want/need it i will go to some other system to get it and thus you are only hurting the project.

Hopefully other mod/plugin authors who have a understanding about what opensource means are reading this as it would be greatly appreciated if you all can give a hand. You will probably be loved forever in more ways then one by alot of very appriactive users.

I would love to hear others thoughts on this?
I don't agree with this 100% But I do think it is somthing mBB needs to take into consideration.
I'll be honest, i'd love to say, but really? This is some developers day job. Thats the barebone, do you feel that you being cheap is more important then someone else eating.
Quote:I'll be honest, i'd love to say, but really? This is some developers day job. Thats the barebone, do you feel that you being cheap is more important then someone else eating.
No, but I don't think any one can or should try to make a living of of myBB mods.
You are so wrong. Not everything on the internet is free, and they work hard on their plugins. Also, Mybb is free and the addons are paid. That is what open source is...
Yeah, it seems like that author is having trouble differentiating between MyBB and plugins.

I do agree that paid plugins need to be kept out of the official MyBB forums and site. It sounds like the upcoming mod site revamp will fix this.
Please lets discuss this like adults Smile I don't want to tell people what to do. I don't agree with everything stated in this post. I definititly don't want to move to VB or IPB
(2011-02-20, 02:21 AM)hobbyplace Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I'll be honest, i'd love to say, but really? This is some developers day job. Thats the barebone, do you feel that you being cheap is more important then someone else eating.
No, but I don't think any one can or should try to make a living of of myBB mods.

Not just plugins. But its a contributing factor.
(2011-02-20, 02:21 AM)hobbyplace Wrote: [ -> ]No, but I don't think any one can or should try to make a living of of myBB mods.

MyBB Mods or not, it's their development, it's their work.

Won't pay for it? Try requesting a free version and hope someone does it.

No matter what, MyBB can't force the Developers to turn free, not at this moment anyway. Not unless the License agreement changes.

And who's to say "Free" Development would get better if that did happen? What if that just puts off the best plugin developers, so they leave to develop things elsewhere?
(2011-02-20, 02:39 AM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-02-20, 02:21 AM)hobbyplace Wrote: [ -> ]No, but I don't think any one can or should try to make a living of of myBB mods.

MyBB Mods or not, it's their development, it's their work.

Won't pay for it? Try requesting a free version and hope someone does it.

No matter what, MyBB can't force the Developers to turn free, not at this moment anyway. Not unless the License agreement changes.

And who's to say "Free" Development would get better if that did happen? What if that just puts off the best plugin developers, so they leave to develop things elsewhere?

I see the point you are trying to make, BUT phpBB still ends up with the best mods. Look at the user blogs mod, medal system, SMfs Ave Media gallery is incredible. myBB is the best software. SMF and phpBB have best FREE mods. I think myBB should have more, free, large plugins.
(2011-02-20, 02:43 AM)hobbyplace Wrote: [ -> ]I see the point you are trying to make, BUT phpBB still ends up with the best mods. Look at the user blogs mod, medal system, SMfs Ave Media gallery is incredible. myBB is the best software. SMF and phpBB have best FREE mods. I think myBB should have more, free, large plugins.

I could be wrong, but aren't some of those plugins free here too?
We have a few Medal/Award Systems, not all are free but I know a few are.
I've seen a Gallery & Blog System here, though I'm not using them so I'm unsure if they're free or not, but sure looked like it to me.

Are you prepared to drive away the best Plugin makers here? While they take all their plugins with them?

There's a pretty good chance the Free plugins won't get better.
Pages: 1 2