MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Move from localhost to domain
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey I just got my forum set up. Now I want it on the internet so every1 can see it. It is currently located at: http://localhost/mybb/admin/index.php.
I bought a domain name and hosting on godaddy.com how do I move it from localhost, to my new domain name?

Appreciate your help...

Thx in advance.
Change the Board URL and cookie settings in the General Configuration options to work for your new URL. Then upload your files from your localhost to your new host, create a database on your new host and import a backup of your database to it, then edit ./inc/config.php to point to this new database.
(2011-02-20, 07:40 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Change the Board URL and cookie settings in the General Configuration options to work for your new URL. Then upload your files from your localhost to your new host, create a database on your new host and import a backup of your database to it, then edit ./inc/config.php to point to this new database.

Thx for the fast answer, my new URL is it the domain name or the ftp name? I don't guess you could go more in-depth or give teamviewer help?
To make it link to the forum ,you need a host(either free or paid) that supports CPanel.
I got paid host from godaddy, it got a control center, not sure if its cpanel Confused How do I upload my files from my localhost to my new host?
Through FTP. If you don't know the details you'll have to ask GoDaddy. (They really suck btw)
(2011-02-20, 07:49 PM)kralmer Wrote: [ -> ]my new URL is it the domain name or the ftp name?

URL = your domain.
(2011-02-20, 07:56 PM)pyridine Wrote: [ -> ]Through FTP. If you don't know the details you'll have to ask GoDaddy. (They really suck btw)

Yeah, I know how to upload files to my FTP client on godaddy, trough filezilla, But not from localhost where mybb is located Confused

And if godaddy sucks what would you recommend?
Well you kinda have to find those files yourself, there's nothing we can do about that. And I recommend DreamHost and LithiumHosting.
(2011-02-20, 08:02 PM)pyridine Wrote: [ -> ]And I recommend DreamHost and LithiumHosting.

Unless DreamHost has changed recently, they're horrible.

I highly recommend Site5. Great support, knowledgeable and direct contact with system administrators (even on shared hosting), rare downtime (and they give you discounts on your next bill if you do go down for longer than 10 minutes I think), and an active community.
Pages: 1 2